Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-begen-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-01

"VAN CAENEGEM Tom" <Tom.Van_Caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 02 November 2009 11:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:34:35 +0100
From: VAN CAENEGEM Tom <Tom.Van_Caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>, avt@ietf.org
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-begen-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-01

Ali,

Picking in on your last comment/statement:

"Correlating SSRC-muxed streams is a lot more complicated than
correlating session-muxed streams. Section 5.3 of 4588 provides some
guidelines on how to do it and also mentions an ambiguity, which could
be addressed by taking some precautions at the receiver in unicast
retransmissions, but the same is not necessarily true for multicast
retransmissions (something DVB-IPI supports).

If we can figure out a nice and solid solution to this, I'll take it.
But this seems questionable (at least to me)."

TOM: just for clarity...the (DVB IPI) multicast retransmissions must be
on a different RTP session than the original multicast.

TOM: I am not clear on what you are asking/proposing here.. Do you mean
a "nice and solid solution to" how an RR can associate original and
retransmission streams when they are both SSRC and session multiplexed?
.. And how this possibility can be mapped into the port mapping proposal
for multicast/unicast sessions?

Thanks
tom