RE: [MMUSIC] Thinking about best-effort encryption

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Thu, 02 November 2006 22:18 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'EKR' <ekr@networkresonance.com>, mmusic@ietf.org, ietf-rtpsec@mail.imc.org
Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] Thinking about best-effort encryption
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:17:50 -0800
DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; l=1754; t=1162505879; x=1163369879; c=relaxed/simple; s=sjdkim5002; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=dwing@cisco.com; z=From:=22Dan=20Wing=22=20<dwing@cisco.com> |Subject:RE=3A=20[MMUSIC]=20Thinking=20about=20best-effort=20encryption; X=v=3Dcisco.com=3B=20h=3DWGIyV7uSUVLvXb1IjeG/bkgxyWk=3D; b=eDDEVMnBJ513TCgXdUKkTfs/ENkxoL33nwj5FTY0w4PzQzKT7+So4LWpNfzTvhMKe4dEHm33 aWxZKgjfqJOPjP6ko+dWmt1JEw0N5+kuayGX0N1n0WexHe5TgLbBHNtu;

> Regardless of which key management protocol we ultimately
> choose, we need to sort the fundamental architectural issue of:
>
>    Does the signalling (SDP) have to reflect RTP/SAVP?

This isn't just a question applicable to security -- this question is
also applicable to all other RTP profiles with offer/answer, such as
sending an offer where you want the RTP feedback profile (RTP/AVPF) if
the answerer supports it, otherwise you will accept RTP without
feedback (RTP/AVP).

Applicable to security, I expect RTP/AVPFCC
(draft-ietf-avt-tfrc-profile-06.txt) will also need an RTP/SAVPFCC
profile (it handwaves at such a thing in its section 3.  Eventually
there will be a profile for running RTP directly over DCCP, too
(without UDP, as is done by draft-ietf-avt-tfrc-profile-06).

We desperately need one solution for RTP profiles to be
negotiated in SDP.

-d