[MMUSIC] Re: Connection and connectivity preconditions

David R Oran <oran@cisco.com> Fri, 08 April 2005 06:09 UTC

From: David R Oran <oran@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:36:49 -0400
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Cc: fandreas@cisco.com, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>, dwing@cisco.com
Subject: [MMUSIC] Re: Connection and connectivity preconditions
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

Option 1 works for me as long as we are clear that
"connection-oriented" means "with working transmission during the data
phase". The semantics are the same in that case. For TCP pragmatically
we can say that the data is likely to get through or the connection
will get torn down. However, if we were to have a connection-oriented
protocol that did *not* provide data-phase reliability (I get a small
tingle that SCTP can actually be configured in this mode), one would
want some confidence that data was actually getting through during the
data phase and not just that some establishment handshake worked.

So, a few words to that effect would tighten things up and make it
clear that the requirement to satisfy the precondition is having
confidence that the goodput of the subject flow is sufficiently greater
than zero to make the flow usable or you will get an explicit teardown.
If you can do that with just the handshake (as in the case of TCP) then
nothing more is needed.

Dave.

On Apr 4, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:

> Folks,
>
> in the last IETF we discussed how to proceed with the following both
> drafts:
>
> draft-andreasen-mmusic-connectivityprecondition-02.txt
> draft-ietf-mmusic-connection-precon-01.txt
>
> The former defines connectivity (e.g., RTP No-Op or ICE-based)
> preconditions and the latter defines connection-oriented (e.g., TCP or
> SCTP-based) preconditions.
>
> The question is what to do to handle scenarios using
> connection-oriented protocols. The choices are:
>
> 1) Merge both documents so that only one precondition type is defined
> which, for connection-oriented protocols, is met when the connection
> establishment procedure finishes (e.g., a successful TCP 3-way
> handshake).
>
> 2) Leave the second draft as it is and define in the first draft
> further conditions that should be met for connection-oriented
> protocols. For example, the connection establishment procedure needs
> to be successfull *and* you have to run some type of connectivity
> check on top of it to ensure that you are talking to the correct
> remote endpoint.
>

> In principle, Flemming and I thought that option 1) was the way to go,
> but in the meeting some folks talked about option 2).
>
> Given that, at present, nobody is implementing something like option
> 2) (if somebody is doing it please speak up), my proposal would be to
> go for option 1).
>
> Comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gonzalo