Re: [MMUSIC] Simplifying draft-westerlund-avtcore-rtp-simulcast

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Tue, 03 December 2013 18:34 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: 'Paul Kyzivat' <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, mmusic@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:34:19 -0800
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Simplifying draft-westerlund-avtcore-rtp-simulcast

Paul said:

"I *think* the sendrecv case can be treated as just a combination with no
new semantics. The answerer would analyze the offer once as a simulcast
receiver and once as a simulcast sender. This could result in arbitrary
combinations of sendrecv, sendonly, and recvonly in the answer for the
m-lines in the simulcast group."

[BA] Yes.  For this SFU-SFU case, the sendrecv m-lines in the Offer that
represent different representations from the same source would be included
on the a=group:SC line.  The Answerer could then decide how many streams it
wants to send and receive and mark the streams in the Answer appropriately.

Paul also said:

"- A receiver making an offer could indicate that it is interested in
receiving simulcast versions of the same source, but only in special cases
would it know that it makes sense to send such an offer."

[BA] Typically a client wouldn't indicate the desire to receive multiple
versions of the same source in parallel, that would be something that an SFU
would Offer (to a client or another SFU).

Paul also said:

"Using grouping, there could be an ambiguity whether the goal is simply to
receive *one* of the alternative formats, or if the goal is to receive
multiple simulcast streams. (Maybe treating them as alternatives can be
banned because other techniques should be used to indicate that.)"

[BA] If the goal is to receive *one* of the alternative formats, then the
alternatives are included on a single m-line (with a=recvonly) as per RFC
3264.   If the goal is to receive alternative formats in parallel, then
multiple m-lines would be used (again, as suggested in RFC 3264).  As to
what "mid" identifiers would be included on the a=group:SC line - to me,
"simulcast" means that multiple streams from a single source are being sent
(or received) in parallel.   So for the asymmetric example, I didn't include
the "mid" of the single m-line (with a=recvonly) on the a=group:SC line.

Paul also said:

"- A sender, when presented with an offer containing simulcast recvonly
streams can decide if it is capable of satisfying more than one of those."

[BA] If the Offer contains multiple m-lines marked "recvonly" that represent
different streams from the same source to be sent in parallel, this means
that the Offerer wants to receive simulcast, and so those m-lines would be
included in a simulcast group.  The Answerer could then decide if it wanted
to send more than one stream.

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 12/2/13 7:15 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Bo Burman said:
>
> "Should a simulcast-capable endpoint be restricted to be a
> simulcast-sender-only or a simulcast-receiver-only, or do we envision
> endpoints that are capable of both sending and receiving simulcast?
> One example would be if simulcast streams are to be forwarded between
> different SFU (using Bernard's terminology below)."
>
> If so and assuming that we define a new 5888-type simulcast grouping,
> do we need separate groupings for send direction simulcast and receive
> direction simulcast, or is a=sendonly and a=recvonly information for
> simulcast-grouped media blocks fully sufficient?
>
> Also, I think the way to use this approach for simulcast in
> combination with multiple separate media sources (like multiple
> cameras) or media sinks (like multiple displays) would be pretty
> straightforward; just add one simulcast grouping per media source/sink."
>
> [BA] In the case where parallel simulcast streams are being both sent
> and received (e.g. between SFUs), there wouldn't be a need for
> a=sendonly or a=recvonly lines;  each m=line would apply to both
> sending and receiving.  So it seems like a single simulcast group would
> suffice.   If you have multiple sources or sinks, then yes, I believe
> you would have one simulcast grouping per media source/sink.
>
> A simple SFU1-SFU2 exchange would look like this:
>
> Offer:
>
> v=0
> o=SFU12362969037 2362969040 IN IP4 192.0.2.156 s=Simulcast Enabled
> SFU1
>
> t=0 0
> c=IN IP4 192.0.2.156
> b=AS:665
>
> a=group:SCS1 S2
> m=video 49300 RTP/AVP 97
> b=AS:520
> a=rtpmap:97 H264/90000
>
> a=fmtp:97 profile-level-id=42c01e
> a=imageattr:97 send [x=640,y=360]
>
> a=mid:S1
> m=video 49302 RTP/AVP 98
> a=rtpmap:98 H264/90000
> a=fmtp:98 profile-level-id=42c01e
> a=imageattr:98 send [x=320,y=180]
>
> a=mid:S2
>
> Answer:
>
> v=0
> o=SFU2 823479283 1209384938 IN IP4 192.0.2.2 s=Answer to Simulcast
> Enabled SFU1
>
> t=0 0
> c=IN IP4 192.0.2.43
>
> b=AS:665
>
> a=group:SCS1 S2
> m=video 48000 RTP/AVP 97
> b=AS:520
>
> a=rtpmap:97 H264/90000
>
> a=fmtp:97 profile-level-id=42c01e
> a=imageattr:97 recv[x=640,y=360]
>
> a=mid:S1
>
> m=video 48002 RTP/AVP 98
> a=rtpmap:98 H264/90000
>
> a=fmtp:98 profile-level-id=42c01e
> a=imageattr:98 recv[x=320,y=180]
>
> a=mid:S2

for simulcast? As far as O/A is concerned, it could just be a number of
completely separate (different content etc) uni-directional streams."

> [BA] The most obvious way would be grouping.  Looking at RFC 5888/5583, it
doesn't appear that either FID or DDP grouping would apply to simulcast.
So perhaps a new group type would be needed.