RE: [MMUSIC] RE: [AVT] RFC 3711 and RTCP

"Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Fri, 03 December 2004 02:16 UTC

Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] RE: [AVT] RFC 3711 and RTCP
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:56:53 +0200
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>, Mark Baugher <mbaugher@cisco.com>
Cc: rmonmib@ietf.org, mmusic@ietf.org, avt@ietf.org
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

Alan,

I believe that we are not in disagreement from a technical perspective. I am just suggesting that reporting RTCP XR metrics to a RAQMON collector be one of the options that should be available

This is not about pushing a RAQMON-centric technology to the industry or closing other options. This is about providing another way of transporting RTCP XR reports for these situations where the RTCP XR probes cannot be deployed . As the need for RTCP encryption will not run away completely, at least in some environments, and even the information carried by  RTCP XR may be considered confidential in some deployments, RAQMON reports carrying RTCP XR information can provide the missing functionality.

RAQMON Reports will also support the case of the encrypted IP tunnels, as well as any combination of media and signaling encryption.

Regards,

Dan