Re: [MMUSIC] Signaling FIR/Freeze in SIP

Joerg Ott <jo@tzi.uni-bremen.de> Tue, 06 August 2002 15:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:45:23 +0200
From: Joerg Ott <jo@tzi.uni-bremen.de>
To: Orit Levin <orit@radvision.com>
CC: 'Nils Henrik Lorentzen' <nhl@tandberg.no>, mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Signaling FIR/Freeze in SIP
Sender: mmusic-admin@ietf.org

Orit and all,

I have gone through a number of scenarios and, apparently, one particular
case of H.323-SIP interworking (namely if an H.323 endpoint is connected
via a piece of SIP in the middle to a SIP- or H.323-based MCU) is not
workable at all with just RTCP.  So, what we are doing right now is
solely for the purpose of interworking.

Your proposal to provide a description of the actual event information
to be conveyed has merit -- particularly as it can be discussed
independently of the transport used later on to carry it.  In addition,
we obviously need to define a MIME type for this data format.

I would like to encourage you to think a bit beyond the pure video
conferencing applications as it would be perfect if we could keep
whatever we come up with right now and build on this for the future
rather than having two or more mechanisms to deal with eventually.

As for the transport: you know that I am very much opposed to tunneling
in SIP INFO, so I'd still like to research other ways -- even within
SIP -- to carry this contents.  Basically, what you want to do is
have the MCU provide an endpoint with an indication/command that a
new intra frame is needed.  Can this information be derived from a
(slightly extended) conference event package or modeled as a different
application-specific event package?  After all, the intra frame is
triggered by a change in the "viewer status" (who sees the video of
the endpoint) which should be watchable in some way.

From what Roni and myself have discussed, the conference package is
insufficient insofar as the send-status types defined so far
("received-by-all", "muted", "unknown") do not allow to reflect the
transition you are interested in.  Adding "received-by-one" would
solve only part of the problem.  But a meaningful addition may make
sense to be explored here (and obtain all you need from a mechanism
already under development).  A SIP MCU is likely to support the
conference package anyway.

Of course, any SIP-H.323 gateway would need to be aware that the
user is connected to a conference and subscribe to the respective
state.  But, on the other hand, it would need to translate SIP INFO
into some H.323 stuff, too.  So while being potentially cleaner,
using SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY is not worse from the backwards compatibility
point of view.

Thoughts?

Joerg