Re: [MMUSIC] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-file-transfer-mech-00.txt]

Miguel Garcia <Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com> Fri, 09 February 2007 11:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 13:28:42 +0200
From: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com>
To: Aki Niemi <aki.niemi@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-file-transfer-mech-00.txt]
Cc: mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>

Aki:

Yes, I agree with you, the MSRP SEND request should be sent one after
each other. Bear in mind, also, that the idea of the draft is to use
MSRP "as is", with no changes.

The examples section is inspired in the Examples Section 11 in the MSRP
draft,

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-18.txt

Somehow, we got confused by the examples in there...

So, can you please point out if there are any suggestions for the file
transfer draft, or are those suggestions for MSRP? Especially, I
wouldn't dare to recommend to pipeline MSRP send requests or how many of
them, because as I said, we want to use off-the-shelf MSRP. But perhaps
you should post something in SIMPLE and to the MSRP authors.

We can still change the example to show pipelined MSRP SEND requests.

/Miguel

Aki Niemi wrote:
> Hi Miguel,
>
> Skimming through the draft, the MSRP usage caught my attention.
> Currently, at least in the examples in Section 9, the MSRP usage defines
> a synchronous scheme for sending chunks over MSRP. It appears this
> scheme will have quite poor performance. This is because you need to
> wait a round-trip between consecutive chunks, which means that the
> overall transfer rate will in most cases be poor, depending of course on
> the network latency.
>
> The way file transfers should work is that the requests are pipelined
> much like in HTTP/1.1, i.e., a certain number of SENDs are sent without
> first waiting for a response. However, I'm not sure MSRP actually
> supports this. The MSRP draft seems to be silent on this issue.
>
> Anyway, I think it should be said somewhere, that for MSRP file
> transfers, pipelining SEND requests is RECOMMENDED. Maybe even throw in
> a recommended number of SENDs to have outstanding at a time in such
> pipelining bursts.
>
> Cheers,
> Aki
>
> ext Miguel Garcia wrote:
>> As you can see, there is a new version of the SDP O/A for file transfer
>> draft. There are no technical changes in this version of the spec, just
>> the IANA considerations section got updated.
>>
>> /Miguel

>> I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-file-transfer-mech-00.txt
>> From:
>> "ext i-d-announce-bounces@ietf.org" <i-d-announce-bounces@ietf.org>
>> Date:
>> Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:50:01 -0500
>> To:
>> i-d-announce@ietf.org
>>
>> To:
>> i-d-announce@ietf.org
>> CC:
>> mmusic@ietf.org

>> directories.
>> This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.
>>
>> 	Title		: A Session Description Protocol (SDP) Offer/Answer Mechanism to Enable File Transfer
>> 	Author(s)	: M. Garcia-Martin, et al.
>> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-mmusic-file-transfer-mech-00.txt
>> 	Pages		: 35
>> 	Date		: 2006-12-18
>>
>>    This document provides a mechanism to negotiate the transfer of one
>>    or more files between two endpoints by using the Session Description
>>    Protocol (SDP) offer/answer model specified in RFC 3264.  SDP is
>>    extended to describe the attributes of the files to be transferred.
>>    The offerer can either describe the files it wants to send, or the
>>    files it would like to receive.  The answerer can either accept or
>>    reject the offer separately for each individual file .  The transfer
>>    of one or more files is initiated after a successful negotiation.
>>    The Message Session Relay Protocol (MSRP) is defined as the default
>>    mechanism to actually carry the files between the endpoints.  The
>>    conventions on how to use MSRP for file transfer are also provided in
> [...]

Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
sip:miguel.garcia@neonsite.net
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland