Re: ISUP tunneling

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dnrc.bell-labs.com> Wed, 11 August 1999 02:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:55:59 -0400
From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dnrc.bell-labs.com>
To: "Adam B. Roach" <Adam.Roach@Ericsson.com>
CC: Sanchez Jorge <Jorge.Sanchez@ebc.ericsson.se>, confctrl@ISI.EDU
Subject: Re: ISUP tunneling
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

"Adam B. Roach" wrote:

> >I have a question regarding draft "ISUP parameters expected in SIP
> >messages"
> ><draft-roach-sip-isup-parameters-00.txt>. You describe that ISUP
> >messages
> >can be expected in a CANCEL or BYE request. I suppose that all messages
> >tunneled
> >onto SIP are carried in Content-Encoding header field, and this header
> >is defined in
> >SIP as being not applicable for CANCEL and BYE methods. What am I
> >missing here?
>
> Nothing; I overlooked this fact when I put the draft together.
> Thanks for pointing this out. I will mention, in future versions
> of the draft, that the use of ISUP tunneling for this application
> adds the possibility of having Content-Encoding headers on
> BYE and CANCEL messages.
>
> Henning, Jonathan, et al: is there a reason the Content-Encoding
> was marked as N/A on BYE and CANCEL? Could this be added to 2543
> when all the other bugfixes are put in?

The reason was that BYE was not supposed to carry any body.
Content-Length and
Content-Type are similarly not allowed. Clearly, if ISUP tunnelling is
done,
there is a need. I can see there might be other applications. Its easy
enough
to fix.

CANCEL is a different story. Its not end to end; its regenerated at each
proxy.
This means it cannot be protected by end to end authentication or
encryption.
It can also be originated by proxies, unlike BYE, which cannot. I would
argue
that there never should be a body in a CANCEL. It should not be used to
convey
call information beyond "cancel the search".

-Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.