Re: [MMUSIC] draft-guenkova-mmusic-e2enp-sdpng-00.txt

Juan-Carlos.Rojas@alcatel.fr Fri, 15 March 2002 15:41 UTC

From: Juan-Carlos.Rojas@alcatel.fr
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] draft-guenkova-mmusic-e2enp-sdpng-00.txt
To: "Mandato, Davide" <mandato@sony.de>
Cc: suresh.leroy@alcatel.be, Andreas Kassler <kassler@informatik.uni-ulm.de>, Teodora Guenkova <guenkova@vs.informatik.uni-ulm.de>, mmusic@ietf.org, Eisl Jochen <Jochen.Eisl@icn.siemens.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:37:32 +0100
Sender: mmusic-admin@ietf.org

Hi Suresh, Andreas, Davide et al,

I have the feeling that you are not so far from each other, and that we are
here tackling a problem of terminology. So I will try to avoid the term
"QoS" even if this is QoS discussion.

First of all, you need to define the service and the ideal delivery
possibilities.
Just defining the service you are already defining quality parameters. For
example: the image on a screen in a cinema room is by far better than what
you can obtain at home with your television set. I'm already hearing the
answer: these are two different services.
In our case, I guess that, e.g., a voice service will not be defined with
the same parameters (e.g., bandwidth) than an audio music service that can
be compared to listen a CD at home. But the answer is the same as
previously: these are two different services.
Therefore, when you define a service, you need to determine which will be
the tools and related parameters to be used: codec, frames per second, etc.
This does not preclude to define the same service with several levels of
perception from the end-user (and therefore, using different codecs, etc.).

Once you defined the service in technical terms (codec, fps, etc.) you can
associate to it some Traffic Information, that is a description of what you
need in an ideal transport environment.

And finally, as reality is not always as wonderful as we can dream, you
need to indicate how sensible can be the stream to delays, jitter, loss,
etc., that is, you need to associate some Sensitivity Information.

These are also the reasons why we don't use the term "QoS parameter" in
draft-bos-mmusic-sdpng-qos-00, but Traffic Information and Sensitivity
Information.

All this information has to be shared/exchanged between users, service
providers, etc. maybe negotiated and finally agreed.
Once everybody is happy at the session/application level, you need to ask
your bearer level to reserve resources, setup connections, etc. and you
will surely use all or almost all this information to derive the
characteristics of the bearer you will request.

Obviously, I agree with the remark of Davide, you will negotiate at the
application level what you want to do, and next you will go down to the
bearer level to ask for resources to try to actually do what you already
agreed at the application level (maybe using NSIS protocol or any other
method).

Best regards,
Juan Carlos

"Mandato, Davide" <mandato@sony.de>@ietf.org on 15/03/2002 15:15:43