[MMUSIC] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-49: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Mon, 16 April 2018 19:57 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation@ietf.org, mmusic-chairs@ietf.org, fandreas@cisco.com, mmusic@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 12:57:41 -0700
Subject: [MMUSIC] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-49: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-49: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation/

DISCUSS:

Rich version of this review at:
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D3382

DETAIL
>      When an offerer generates an offer, in which it wants to add a new
>      bundled "m=" section, the offerer MUST:
>
>      o  Assign the offerer BUNDLE address:port (previously selected
>         [Section 8.3.1] or newly suggested [Section 8.5.1]) to the added
>         "m=" section; or

IMPORTANT: This doesn't sound right. You can't use the existing
address:port, because if the peer rejects BUNDLE but accepts the m=
section then it's broken.

>      o  When the BUNDLE transport has been established, ICE connectivity
>         checks and keep-alives only need to be performed for the BUNDLE
>         transport, instead of per individual "m=" section within the
>         BUNDLE group.
>
>      o  In an offer, if the offer assigns a unique address:port to one or

IMPORTANT: This does not define how to interact with trickle ICE.

COMMENT:

>    Negotiating Media Multiplexing Using the Session Description Protocol
>                                    (SDP)
>               draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-49.txt
>
>   Abstract

This document is quite a bit improved from when I read it before, but
it's still very confusing. The primary problem here is the repeated
use of "address;port" as synechdoche for the m= section which is the
"head" of the BUNDLE group (i.e., that which is indicated by the
BUNDLE-tag). That's not what's going on and it's misplaced
concreteness. I would invent some new term ("head" is actually not
bad) and then use it throughout for this concept.

>      to negotiate which "m=" sections will become part of a BUNDLE group.
>      Within a BUNDLE group, each "m=" section will use a BUNDLE transport
>      for sending and receiving bundled media.
>
>      Within a BUNDLE group, each endpoint uses a single address:port
>      combination for sending and receiving bundled media.  The

Nit: "pair"?

>      combination for sending and receiving bundled media.  The
>      address:port combination is referred to as the BUNDLE address:port.
>      In addition to negotiating the BUNDLE group, the offerer and answerer
>      [RFC3264] use the BUNDLE extension to negotiate the BUNDLE
>      addresses:ports, one for the offerer (offerer BUNDLE address) and one
>      for the answerer (answerer BUNDLE address:port).  Once the offerer

Why is one of these called "address" and the other "address:port"?

>      can be used to request that specific media is only used if the "m="
>      section describing the media is kept within a BUNDLE group.
>
>      This specification updates RFC 3264 [RFC3264], to allow assigning a
>      zero port value to a "m=" section without meaning that the media
>      described by the "m=" section is disabled or rejected.

1. Bundle lets you have multiple SDP m= sections on a single 5-tuple
2. The underling mechanism here is that you put those m= sections in
the same BUNDLE group
3. In order to facilitate demuxing, we define a new RTP extension for
MID.
4. It is sometimes desirable to say that an m= section should only be
negotiated if it can be bundled. This is done with port=0 and a
=bundle-only.

>      can be used to request that specific media is only used if the "m="
>      section describing the media is kept within a BUNDLE group.
>
>      This specification updates RFC 3264 [RFC3264], to allow assigning a
>      zero port value to a "m=" section without meaning that the media
>      described by the "m=" section is disabled or rejected.

This section is kind of a laundry list. I think it would be helpful to
break it out conceptually. Specifically.

1.
2.
3.

>      "m=" section: SDP bodies contain one or more media descriptions,
>      referred to as "m=" sections.  Each "m=" section is represented by an
>      SDP "m=" line, and zero or more SDP attributes associated with the
>      "m=" line.  A local address:port combination is assigned to each "m="
>      section.

Was this intended to be a bullet?

>      o  Bundled media: All media associated with a given BUNDLE group.
>
>      o  Initial offer: The first offer, within an SDP session (e.g. a SIP
>         dialog when the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) [RFC3261] is
>         used to carry SDP), in which the offerer indicates that it wants
>         to create a given BUNDLE group.

This is a very idiosyncratic definition, because it's *not* the first
offer in the session, but the one where the BUNDLE group is
introduced. Given that 3264 has a different meaning for this same
term, and the difference is critical, I would strongly urge you to
pick a different term.

>      The BUNDLE extension is indicated using an SDP 'group' attribute with
>      a semantics value [RFC5888] of "BUNDLE".  An identification-tag is
>      assigned to each bundled "m=" section, and each identification-tag is
>      listed in the SDP 'group:BUNDLE' attribute identification-tag list.
>      Each "m=" section whose identification-tag is listed in the
>      identification-tag list is associated with a given BUNDLE group.

How about "is part of" instead of "associated with"

>      Each "m=" section whose identification-tag is listed in the
>      identification-tag list is associated with a given BUNDLE group.
>
>      SDP bodies can contain multiple BUNDLE groups.  Any given bundled
>      "m=" section MUST NOT be associated with more than one BUNDLE group
>      at any given time.

Again "part of"

>      assign a zero port value to the "m=" section.  According to [RFC3264]
>      an answerer will reject such an "m=" section.  By including an SDP
>      'bundle-only' attribute in such an "m=" section, the offerer can
>      request that the answerer accepts the "m=" section if the answerer
>      supports the BUNDLE extension, and if the answerer keeps the "m="
>      section within the associated BUNDLE group.

I would put some of this text up before the attribute definition to
explain why the attribute exists.

>      SDP offers and answers can contain multiple BUNDLE groups.  The
>      procedures in this section apply independently to a given BUNDLE
>      group.
>
>   8.1.  Multiplex Category Considerations

Multiplexing?

>      When a BUNDLE group is initially negotiated, and a unique
>      address:port is assigned to each bundled "m=" section (excluding any
>      bundle-only "m=" section) in the initial offer [Section 8.2], any
>      IDENTICAL and TRANSPORT mux category SDP attributes included in the
>      BUNDLE group MUST explicitly be included in each bundled
>      "m=a&#128;&#156; section (excluding any bundle-only "m=" sections).

Something bad happened here with your editor.

>      BUNDLE group MUST explicitly be included in each bundled
>      "m=a&#128;&#156; section (excluding any bundle-only "m=" sections).
>
>      When an offerer or answerer includes SDP attributes in bundled "m="
>      sections within a BUNDLE group for which the offerer and answerer
>      BUNDLE addresses:ports have been selected, IDENTICAL and TRANSPORT

This is pretty opaque. It's not that the address:port pair have been
selected but rather that BUNDLE has been negotiated for that m=
section (though of course the address:port being selected is a side
effect of this).

>      The semantics of some SDP attributes only apply to specific types of
>      media.  For example, the semantics of the SDP 'rtcp-mux' and SDP
>      'rtcp-mux-only' attributes only apply to "m=" sections describing
>      RTP-based media.  However, as described in Section 8.1, there are
>      cases where IDENTICAL and TRANSPORT mux category SDP attributes are
>      only included in the "m=" sections indicated by the BUNDLE-tag.  That

Huh? This is section 8.1.

This whole paragraph is a mess. I would say

"One consequence of these rules is that because SDP attributes which
are appropriate only to some other m= section may appear in the m=
section indicated by the BUNDLE-tag. For instance, the BUNDLE-tag may
indicate a data channel but contain the 'rtcp-mux' attribute because
that applies to an RTP m= section that is part of the BUNDLE group"

>      type of media.
>
>   8.2.  Generating the Initial SDP Offer
>
>      When an offerer generates an initial offer, to negotiate a BUNDLE
>      group, it MUST:

This sentence is ungrammatical. "In order to negotiate a BUNDLE group
in an initial offer, the offerer MUST"

>      within the BUNDLE group, the offerer MUST:
>
>      o  Include an SDP 'bundle-only' attribute [Section 8.2.1] in the "m="
>         section; and
>
>      o  Assign a zero port value to the "m=" section.

I would reorder these, because the zero port is the main semantic.

>      NOTE: If the offerer assigns unique addresses:ports to multiple
>      bundled "m=" sections, the offerer needs to be prepared to receive
>      bundled media on each unique address:port, until it receives the
>      associated answer and finds out which address:port combination has
>      been selected as the offerer BUNDLE-address.

Why is this an "If"? There are only two choices: "unique" and "zero".
Just put this graf up before the discussion of bundle-only and you can
remove the conditional

>      It is RECOMMENDED that the offerer assigns the suggested offerer
>      BUNDLE address:port to a bundled "m=" section that the offerer
>      assumes it is unlikely that the answerer will reject, or move out of
>      the BUNDLE group.  How such assumption is made is outside the scope
>      of this document.

I would say "believes" rather than "assumes"

>        b=AS:1000
>        a=mid:bar
>        a=rtcp-mux
>        a=rtpmap:31 H261/90000
>        a=rtpmap:32 MPV/90000
>        a=extmap 1 urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:sdes:mid

Line breaks between the m= sections would help here.

>      When an answerer generates an answer that contains a BUNDLE group,
>      the following general SDP grouping framework restrictions, defined in
>      [RFC5888], also apply to the BUNDLE group:
>
>      o  The answerer MUST NOT include a BUNDLE group in the answer, unless

Comma not needed here. Also, this negative phrasing is hard to follow.
I would say "MUST only ... if" here and below

>      o  The answerer MUST NOT include an "m=" section within a BUNDLE
>         group, unless the offerer requested the "m=" section to be within
>         that BUNDLE group in the corresponding offer.
>
>      o  If the answer contains multiple BUNDLE groups, the answerer MUST
>         NOT move an "m=" section from one BUNDLE group to another.

This bullet is unnecessary as it immediately follows from the
preoceeding bukllet.

>      If the answer contains a BUNDLE group, the answerer MUST:
>
>      o  Select an offerer BUNDLE address:port [Section 8.3.1]; and
>
>      o  Select an answerer BUNDLE address:port [Section 8.3.2].

This isn't right, because each BUNDLE group has its own address:port,
so instead "For each BUNDLE group" contained in the offer.

More importantly, it's not the address:port that the answerer chooses,
but rather the m= section. I.e.,

o Determine the first m= section in the BUNDLE group which will be
BUNDLEd in the answer
o Select an answerer BUNDLE address:port

>      o  The answerer will not reject the "m=" section [Section 8.3.4]; and
>
>      o  The "m=" section does not contain a zero port value.
>
>      If all of the criteria above are fulfilled, the answerer MUST select
>      the suggested offerer BUNDLE address:port.

Again, this isn't selecting the address:port but rather the m=section

>      bundled "m=" section the answerer MUST assign a zero port value and
>      include an SDP 'bundle-only' attribute.
>
>      The answerer MUST NOT assign an answerer BUNDLE address:port to an
>      "m=" section that is not within the BUNDLE group, or to an "m="
>      section that is within another BUNDLE group.

This repeats text in S 8.3.

>      group in an answer, it MUST first check the following criteria:
>
>      o  In the corresponding offer, an offerer BUNDLE address:port
>         (previously selected [Section 8.3.1] or newly suggested
>         [Section 8.5.1]) has been assigned to the "m=" section by the
>         offerer; or

This text is baffling. As far as I can see, the first condition is
"don't pick it as the head m= section if you intend to move it out".
The second is some entirely different case. Can you rewrite it so it
makes sense.

>      either reject the whole offer, reject each bundled "m=" section
>      within the BUNDLE group [Section 8.3.4], or keep the "m=" section
>      within the BUNDLE group in the answer and later create an offer where
>      the "m=" section is moved out of the BUNDLE group [Section 8.5.3].
>
>      When the answerer generates an answer, in which it moves a bundled

No comma

>      o  MUST NOT assign an SDP 'bundle-only' attribute to the "m="
>         section.
>
>      An answerer MUST NOT move an "m=" section from one BUNDLE group to
>      another within an answer.  If the answerer wants to move an "m="

This is the third time you have said this. If you want to say it here,
say "Because ..., if"

>      it MUST first check the following criteria:
>
>      o  In the corresponding offer, an offerer BUNDLE address:port
>         (previously selected [Section 8.3.1] or newly suggested
>         [Section 8.5.1]) has been assigned to the "m=" section by the
>         offerer.

Same comment here as above. These are entirely different conditions.

>      o  In the corresponding offer, an offerer BUNDLE address:port
>         (previously selected [Section 8.3.1] or newly suggested
>         [Section 8.5.1]) has been assigned to the "m=" section by the
>         offerer.
>
>      If the criteria above is fulfilled, the answerer can not reject the

"criteria... are"

>      reject the whole offer, reject each bundled "m=" section within the
>      BUNDLE group, or keep the "m=" section within the BUNDLE group in the
>      answer and later create an offer where the "m=" section is disabled
>      within the BUNDLE group [Section 8.5.4].
>
>      When an answerer generates an answer, in which it rejects a bundled

No comma

>        m=video 0 RTP/AVP 32
>        b=AS:1000
>        a=mid:bar
>        a=bundle-only
>        a=rtpmap:32 MPV/90000
>        a=extmap 1 urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:sdes:mid

Please put line breaks in between m= sections here too

>   8.4.  Offerer Processing of the SDP Answer
>
>      When an offerer receives an answer, if the answer contains a BUNDLE
>      group, the offerer MUST check that any bundled "m=" section in the
>      answer was indicated as bundled in the corresponding offer.  If there
>      is no mismatch, the offerer MUST use the offerer BUNDLE address:port,

address:port, again. It's the m=section that's relevant.

>      bundled "m=" section.
>
>      NOTE: As the answerer might reject one or more bundled "m=" sections,
>      or move a bundled "m=" section out of a BUNDLE group, each bundled
>      "m=" section in the offer might not be indicated as bundled in the
>      answer.

"each" -> "an given"

>      When the offerer generates a subsequent offer, the offerer BUNDLE-tag
>      MUST represent the bundled "m=" section to which the offerer BUNDLE
>      address:port (previously negotiated or newly suggested) has been
>      assigned.
>
>   8.5.1.  Suggesting a New Offerer BUNDLE Address:Port

Again it would make more sense to describe this as suggesting a new m=
section.

>      section out of a BUNDLE group.
>
>   8.5.4.  Disabling a Media Description in a BUNDLE Group
>
>      When an offerer generates an offer, in which it wants to disable a
>      bundled "m=" section, the offerer:

Are you sure disable -> port 0, as opposed to "inactive"

>      configuration and packetization.
>      [I-D.ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes] lists SDP attributes, whose
>      attribute values are required to be identical for all codecs that use
>      the same payload type value.
>
>   10.2.  Associating RTP/RTCP Streams with Correct SDP Media Description

Nit "the correct"

>      "m=" sections), following the procedures for IDENTICAL mux category
>      attributes in Section 8.1.  In addition, the offerer MAY include an
>      SDP 'rtcp-mux-only' attribute [I-D.ietf-mmusic-mux-exclusive] in a
>      RTP-based bundled "m=" section.
>
>      NOTE: Whether the offerer associates the SDP 'rtcp-mux-only'

associates -> includes

>         an offerer BUNDLE address:port (previously selected
>         [Section 8.3.1] or newly suggested [Section 8.5.1]) to a bundled
>         "m=" section (the "m=" section indicated by the offerer BUNDLE-
>         tag), the offerer only includes ICE-related media-level SDP
>         attributes in that "m=" section, following the procedures in
>         Section 8.1.

You should rewrite this graf and the one below to be about BUNDLED-
ness not port assignment. I.e., if you are definitely bundled, willing
to bundle, or not bundled.

>      Support and usage of ICE mechanism together with the BUNDLE extension
>      is OPTIONAL, and the procedures in this section only apply when the
>      ICE mechanism is used.  Note that applications might mandate usage of
>      the ICE mechanism even if the BUNDLE extension is not used.
>
>   11.1.  SDP Offer/Answer Procedures

Same point here as above. Talking about address:port isn't helpful.