Re: [MMUSIC] [dccp] Reviewing draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 16 June 2011 07:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:42:12 +0100
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: "Miguel A. Garcia" <Miguel.A.Garcia@ericsson.com>
Cc: Pasi Sarolahti <pasi.sarolahti@iki.fi>, DCCP WG <dccp@ietf.org>, "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] [dccp] Reviewing draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap

See in-line on dccp-service-code.

Gorry

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Miguel A. Garcia wrote:

> A quick review of Section 5 of this document:
>
> - I think it is a good idea to clearly indicate which SDP attributes are
> newly created and which ones are reused from other RFCs. I therefore
> recommend to add the following sentences somewhere to the corresponding
> sections:
>
> 5.3:
> RFC 4145 [RFC4145] defines the "setup" attribute whose purpose is to indcate
> which of the end points should initiate the connection establishment. This
> document reuses the "setup" attribute to similarly indicate which end point
> initiates the DCCP-UDP connection establishment.
>
> 5.4:
> RFC 5245 [RFC5245] defines the "candidate" attribute whose purpose is to
> provide one of many possible candidate addresses for communication. This
> document reuses the "candidate" attribute to indicate native or encapsulated
> candidate addresses

[After re-reading this I note that this section speaks of "native" DCCP
whereas there was an earlier suggestion that this should be called
"DCCP-STD", Colin and I should ensure this is consistent in the next
revision.]

> - In 5.2 last paragraph, I am missing some normative statements, for example:
>
> If RTCP is multiplexed with RTP, endpoints MUST encode the DCCP port used for
> RTCP in the "rtcp" attribute specified in RFC 3605 [RFC3605]. An SDP offerer
> MAY indicate its willingnes to multiplex RTP and RTCP onto a single DCCP port
> by adding an "rtcp-mux" attribute as specified in RFC 5761 [RFC5761]. If the
> answer also includes the "rtcp-mux" attribute (as per RFC 5761 [RFC5761]),
> then RTP and RTCP are multiplexed onto a single DCCP port, otherwise separate
> DCCP ports are used for RTP and RTCP.  In each case, only a single UDP port
> is used for the DCCP-UDP encapsulation.
>
> - I didn't find any description of the "dccp-service-code". However, it is
> written in the examples in Section 5.5. Is this a leftover from a previous
> version of the document?

I suggest a couple of lines to be clear to anyone composing  SDP:

RFC 5762 [RFC5762] defines the "dccp-service-code" attribute whose purpose
is to identify the intended service/application to process a DCCP
connection request [RFC5595]. The "dccp-service-code" attribute is the
same for both DCCP-STD and DCCP-UDP encapsulations.

> - I agree with your comment at the end of Section 5.5 indicating that an
> example using ICE would be beneficial.

So, as soon as we have this, I think we can then finalise the text!

> - Section 7.3. There are two references pointing to Section 5.1 in the
> document, but they should actually point to Section 5.2

Noted, will fix.

> - I think the following references should be made normative: ICE-TCP,
> RFC3264, RFC 4566, RFC5245, RFC5761

Seems OK to me, I'll see if Colin agrees.