[MMUSIC] Re: mboned: updated MBONED agenda for IETF 61

Hoerdt Mickael <hoerdt@clarinet.u-strasbg.fr> Mon, 08 November 2004 10:12 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:47:51 +0100
From: Hoerdt Mickael <hoerdt@clarinet.u-strasbg.fr>
To: David Meyer <dmm@1-4-5.net>
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org, csp@csperkins.org, mboned@lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: [MMUSIC] Re: mboned: updated MBONED agenda for IETF 61
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

Hello,

I am happy to see that multi-source SSM session layering  is still a
potential working topic at the IETF.
I continued my work, but mainly on the implementation (the API changed)
and finally named the very simple protocol that I presented here  more
than one year ago  : Source Specific Multicast Source Discovery Protocol
(SSMSDP). It still uses a shared SSM tree to signal new channels
presents in the session.
Source announcements toward the root of the tree can use TCP or UDP (see
the API doc),
but are not MSDP formated as in Rami lethonen work.

Well known applications (vic/rat/beacon)  has been launched without
recompilation over SSM with a tool called "ssmsdpifier", it simply trap
MROUTING setsockopt with ssmsdp calls. On a 10Mb/s with a single linux
PC with
64Mb of ram and 350Mhz the implementation is able to sustain about 1500
actives sources signaling
on the same process (with an announcement period of 5 sec)

Documentation, implementation, Faqs, Status are all there :

http://clarinet.u-strasbg.fr/~hoerdt/libssmsdp/

Cheers,

Hoerdt Mickaël