Re: [MMUSIC] video media control draft

"Andreas Kassler" <kassler@informatik.uni-ulm.de> Wed, 14 August 2002 06:58 UTC

From: Andreas Kassler <kassler@informatik.uni-ulm.de>
To: "Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il>, Sanjoy Sen <sanjoy@nortelnetworks.com>, 'Nils Henrik Lorentzen' <nhl@tandberg.no>, mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] video media control draft
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:00:07 +0200
Sender: mmusic-admin@ietf.org

RE: [MMUSIC] video media control draftHi,
regarding the visual quality, I was targeting more to variable bitrate codecs, where you can change
the visual quality (e.g. by changing the quantization) independent from the frame size and the frame
rate. Of course this may result in a change of the data rate, which may lead to a renegotiation for
network resources (using RSVP updates or to be defined NSIS signalling).
When you think about constant bitrate codecs I absolutely agree with you that we need some preferences:
- e.g. frame rate is more important than visual quality
We could use here e.g. some weighting factors and it is up to the codec to configure itself correctly.
For the "frame rate is more important than visual quality" scenario, we could have something like
- frame_rate = 70, visual_quality = 30
For the "frame rate is equally important as visual quality" scenario, we could have something like
- frame_rate = 50, visual_quality = 50, and so on.
What do you think?
Regards, Andreas.