[MMUSIC] RE: [Sipping] SIP Identity Usage in Enterprise Scenarios

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Thu, 15 September 2005 15:46 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Michael Slavitch' <slavitch@objectworld.com>, 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:46:23 -0700
Cc: sipping@ietf.org, 'IETF MMUSIC WG' <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: [MMUSIC] RE: [Sipping] SIP Identity Usage in Enterprise Scenarios
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

> Using a session certificate asserts that the data streams and all
> associated negotiations belong to the same asserted identity
> and session all the way down the line.

So you're proposing this would occur at the session level so there
is only one RSA operation, plus CA validation, that needs to occur
and not on per a=candidate line?

> By tying the ICE negotiating identity to a session cert this makes
> everything easier to implement, manage, monitor and debug, as session
> and media can be tied together up and down the line. It is
> also a tight way of ensuring implementation rigor.

I don't agree that certificates and RSA operations are easier to
implement, manage, monitor and debug compared to the username/password
operations that were in ice-04.

How would -sip-identity- fail at providing those same functions?

> The recently expired draft-ignjatic-msec-mikey-rsa-r-00 has a proposal
> for key management where instigators do not initially know
> the keys  of the respondent, a use of which is described as a best
> practise for identity assertion in
> draft-fries-sipping-identity-enterprise-scenario-00.txt.

MIKEY with RSA-R doesn't assure identity of the caller, it only
provides assurance over the SRTP keys themselves.

> As SIP evolves identity assurance is going to be a key pain point, by
> taking these steps proactively we will help inoculate the protocol and
> its subcomponents from any future pain.

I believe that is sip-identity's purpose in life, no?

-d