[MMUSIC] Comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-traffic-class-for-sdp-02

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Fri, 02 November 2012 00:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:04:33 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: IETF MMUSIC WG <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-traffic-class-for-sdp-02

I have some comments on this new version of the document. (Sorry!)

Section 3:

I know we have been through this many times, and its much better now.
But I still see one issue:

The ABNF says an adjective is a tcl-token, which allows "-" and
alphanumerics. But then the text says that an adjective and be preceded
by underscore ("_") to indicate that it is non-standard. This means you
are *extending* the syntax in text beyond what the ABNF allows. IMO that
is a very bad idea.

Instead, I recommend altering the syntax to permit the underscore in
adjectives in the way you intend it to be used. I would suggest some
syntax for this but I don't know if you want to permit non-standard
qualified adjectives.

Also, as we have previously discussed, this way of using non-standard
adjectives is quite analogous to the use "P-" or "X-" headers that has
been found troublesome and generally banned. So I expect this might have
trouble getting through IESG review. I thought we had discussed having
the non-standard adjectives be registered using a
first-come-first-served registration policy.

ISTM that the portion of this section that discusses "aq" ought to be in
its own section, and then referenced from the iana considerations section.

Section 6.4:

I don't find any explanation of how or if to register qualified
adjectives. The section title says "Unqualified Adjective Registration",
but the inital set of registered values includes "aq" (the qualifier
part of qualified adjectives), and some values intended to be qualfied
by "aq:" (such as "admitted"). This certainly implies to me that I can
use each of these as an unqualified adjective.

If the intent is to register such things then I would expect to see the
full qualified adjectives listed for registration. E.g. "aq:admitted"

	Thanks,
	Paul