Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-rid-01

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 03 February 2016 16:14 UTC

To: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 10:14:15 -0600
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-rid-01

On 2/2/16 11:41, Colin Perkins wrote:
> I didn’t find a precise specification in the draft for what RID parameters constrain what “a=fmtp:" parameters, for what RTP payload formats. I think this draft needs a complete list of which parameters are constrained by each RID parameter, to ensure unambiguous behaviour with existing codecs.

I fear such an approach may be intractable. On a quick analysis, I find
almost 100 RFCs that define "a=fmtp" parameters, and most of those
define more than one. If you want to volunteer to slog through that
entire corpus and figure out which correspond to the constraints we're
defining, I'll happily accept the output of that work. But I suspect
you'll reach the same conclusion as I did: it's not a reasonable task.

That said, the principle here is pretty easy to grasp: when the "a=fmtp"
parameters constrain your encoding in some way, and the "a=rid"
parameters also constrain your encoding in some way, you need to meet
both constraints simultaneously. If you think there's some text we can
add to Section 9 to clarify this principle, I'm happy to expound on it.
But I'm pretty certain that the future-proof approach here is to lay out
a principle of interaction, rather than (for example) spending the
energy to figure out how the "pgroup" parameter for SMPTE 292M might
interact with any of the constraints we're defining, and then doing that
same kind of analysis hundreds of times over.

> Also, to ensure consistency going forward, the draft should probably give some guidance to the PAYLOAD working group, mandating “a=fmtp:” parameter names for common features when defining future payload formats, so they match the RID parameter names if they’re intended to be restricted by RID parameters, and to use different names otherwise.

Trying to harmonize PAYLOAD's handling of <format specific parameters>
seems to be somewhat outside the scope of what this document is doing. I
mean, I get that the lack of coordination of constraining parameters on
video codecs is a pretty sad state of affairs, but it's not really fair
to shackle this draft to the task of solving that mess before it can
move forward.

To be clear, I'd be happy to see some kind of guidance regarding <format
specific parameters> put forth in an independent document so that there
is at least a modicum of uniformity for future formats. I just think
it's not in the scope of the RID work.

/a