[MMUSIC] Joel Jaeggli's No Objection on draft-ietf-mmusic-msid-14: (with COMMENT)

"Joel Jaeggli" <joelja@bogus.com> Tue, 14 June 2016 15:52 UTC

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 08:52:17 -0700
Cc: fandreas@cisco.com, mmusic-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mmusic-msid@ietf.org, mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: [MMUSIC] Joel Jaeggli's No Objection on draft-ietf-mmusic-msid-14: (with COMMENT)

Joel Jaeggli has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mmusic-msid-14: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-msid/

COMMENT:

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> performed the opsdir review.

Copied here for completeness as it hasn't been addressed yet.

---

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's

ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These

comments were written with the intent of improving the operational
aspects of the

IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
in AD reviews

during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments

just like any other last call comments.

General comment:  Document and concept are generally clear.  Thank you
for providing a simple solution to this problem.

Caveat:  My expertise is at lower end of the stack.  I cross referenced
all the WebRTC documentation, but I’ve missed how implementations provide
feedback that this protocols is up and working.  Therefore, I’ve
indicated the operational issues as a set of questions for the authors to
consider.

Minor concern:

1)      Error handling: Is it possible that the msid-value, msid-id, and
msid-appdata can be inserted, and then received with values that are not
valid  (1*64token-char]?

a.        If so, an error sequence is necessary.

b.      If not, it is important to explain why not

Add section to 3.2

2)      Operational  issues:  A few questions for your to consider to
provide the link to operational issues.

Normal operational:  How does the person who is utilizing this protocol
in WebRTC situation check the status of the protocols?  Is it part of the
WebRTC status information that the implementations provide?  If so, is
there any common management parameters that you can suggest?  Is this in
another document in IETF or W3C?

Error operations:  If you can have errors, how does the person who
utilizes this protocol in WebRTC  find out the error rate.  Again, is it
part of the WebRTC status information on errors?  Is it in another
document W3C?

Editorial NITS:

Page 7, section 3.1

Paragraph 2:  double “,” in the section highlighted makes this sentence’s
meaning unclear.

Are these two sub-thoughts? If not two sub-thoughts, then perhaps the
/new/ suggested text.

   When MSID is used, the only time this can happen is when, at a time

   subsequent to the initial negotiation, a negotiation is performed

   where the answerer adds a MediaStreamTrack to an already established

   connection and starts sending data before the answer is received by

   the offerer.  For initial negotiation, packets won't flow until the

   ICE candidates and fingerprints have been exchanged, so this is not

   an issue.

/new suggested/

When MSID is used, the only time this can happen is at a time

   subsequent to the initial negotiation,

/

Paragraph 3

Pagination makes the following text difficult.  Repagination in /new/ may
help.  Or it may highlight where I was confused by your document.

/old/

The recipient of those packets will perform the following steps:

   o  When RTP packets are initially received, it will create an

      appropriate MediaStreamTrack based on the type of the media

      (carried in PayloadType), and use the MID RTP header extension

      [I-D.ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation] (if present) to associate

      the RTP packets with a specific media section.  If the connection

      is not in the RTCSignalingState "stable", it will wait at this

      point.

   o  When the connection is in the RTCSignalingState "stable", it will

      look at the relevant media section to find the msid attribute.

   o  If there is an msid attribute, it will use that attribute to

      populate the "id" field of the MediaStreamTrack and associated

      MediaStreams, as described above.

   o  If there is no msid attribute, the identifier of the

      MediaStreamTrack will be set to a randomly generated string, and

      it will be signalled as being part of a MediaStream with the

      WebIDL "label" attribute set to "Non-WebRTC stream".

   o  After deciding on the "id" field to be applied to the

      MediaStreamTrack, the track will be signalled to the user.

/

/new/

The recipient of those packets will perform the following steps:

   o  When RTP packets are initially received, it will create an

      appropriate MediaStreamTrack based on the type of the media

      (carried in PayloadType), and use the MID RTP header extension

      [I-D.ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation] (if present) to associate

      the RTP packets with a specific media section.

-    If the connection is not in the RTCSignalingState "stable", it will
wait at this point.

-    When the connection is in the RTCSignalingState "stable", it will
look at the relevant media section to find the msid attribute.

·         Looking a Media section: