[MMUSIC] Plans for WGLC - IMG Requirements and Framework

juha-pekka.luoma@nokia.com Thu, 11 December 2003 23:34 UTC

From: juha-pekka.luoma@nokia.com
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:33:34 +0200
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: [MMUSIC] Plans for WGLC - IMG Requirements and Framework
Sender: mmusic-admin@ietf.org

Hi all,

In the MMUSIC session of IETF-58, we presented the status of our work on the Internet Media Guide (IMG) Requirements and Framework. A number of open issues in the two drafts were identified both in the MMUSIC session and in offline discussions. To address these, we have updated these drafts already once after IETF-58 and will shortly publish version 02 of the drafts. As mentioned in our MMUSIC presentation, we would like to have a Working Group Last Call for the drafts this month after resolving the remaining issues.

(1) Use Cases: Framework -> Requirements
(2) Consider an alternative to the term "IMG Metadata"
(3) Consider the text on baseline data model
(4) Decide on the published status of these after freeze

Our group of IMG draft authors had the following notes on the list items.

(1): Easy to do, will do for 02.
(2): There is a risk of indefinite delay here to people who did not find a better term in 12 months. The risk in our opinion outweighs the benefits of getting the term just right. We've done terminology clean-ups and reviews, and provided an accurate definition to the term "IMG metadata" that is used consistently. Our only good alternative "IMG information" is no less ambiguous than the existing term, so we would prefer the term as is. However, if there are some exact wording proposals this would be very helpful.
(3): We thought it would be useful to very briefly introduce this topic, even if outside MMUSIC scope, as it is impossible to have a metadata format independent application without some kind of baseline data model to plug the app-specific metadata into.
(4): Informational RFC is a good target for the two drafts.

We are very interested in getting your review and input on the drafts, either this version (links below) or the next. Please, share your comments!

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-img-req-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-img-framework-01.txt

Comments are also welcome to the following individual draft defining the IMG transfer envelope format.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-luoma-mmusic-img-metadata-envelope-00

-Pekka