Re: [MMUSIC] SDP Capabilities Negotiation : Delete attributes

Bob Gilman <bob_gilman@comcast.net> Sat, 08 March 2008 20:18 UTC

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 13:15:47 -0700
From: Bob Gilman <bob_gilman@comcast.net>
To: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] SDP Capabilities Negotiation : Delete attributes
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

Flemming, Ingemar-
We tried to minimize the need for the deletion option in the
media capabilities draft (ID-ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-capabilities-03)
with specific rules for mcap/rtpmap, mfcap/fmtp and mscap (attributes
that are tied to <fmt>) or for bandwidth types.  That still doesn't
avoid the types of cases Flemming points out where one attribute
applies to the base configuration and an incompatible one applies
to a potential configuration.  The only way to avoid deletion
completely is to make the base configuration a "throwaway" with no
attributes (other than the implied defaults), and put all the
attributes into potential configurations.  That's not very attractive
at a time when most endpoints don't recognize the capabilities
attributes, but one would hope capability negotiation will be
ubiquitous in the near future.  This really points out that we have
two ways of expressing a potential configuration: the base way
with the m-line, and the a=pcfg way, and we have no good way of
selectively referring to a base-level attribute from a potential
configuration attribute.

One could use the delete option always, and then duplicate any needed
base attributes in acap lines.  At worst, this means the base level
attributes appear twice: once in an "a=<attr>" line, and once in
an "a=acap <attr>" line.  Look at the second example in section 4.1
of the media-capabilities draft: if we had to duplicate attributes,
we'd have to duplicate all the a=candidate lines.

This hasn't been an easy problem to solve in a way that maintains
optimum compactness.  Perhaps we need more discussion on the rules
for addition, deletion, or replacement.
-Bob
Bob Gilman        bob_gilman@comcast.net      +1 303 898 9780