Re: SIP/PSTN interworking draft

Scott Petrack <scott.petrack@metatel.com> Thu, 22 July 1999 14:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:10:36 -0400
From: Scott Petrack <scott.petrack@metatel.com>
To: "Adam B. Roach" <Adam.Roach@Ericsson.com>
cc: confctrl@ISI.EDU
Subject: Re: SIP/PSTN interworking draft
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

It would be a very interesting thing to have a standard
format for Calling Card Information, so that it could be
included within, among other things a SIP payload.
This would include the information on a "usual" calling
card, such as the carriers name, the owner's name, the
calling card number, perhaps a few bytes of special
restrictions. The whole thing would be protected via
either a password (analogous to the PIN) or via
public-key.

The point of all that is -- surely the correct format
has nothing to do with OOB dtmf. In fact, dtmf could
not be used, since the only way to tell in a stream
of random dtmf digits which is the calling card number,
which is the pin, etc., is to correlate the digits
with other real-time prompts. ("please enter your pin",
"please enter your calling card number"). Therefore,
such dtmf information would need to be in band.

Bottom line -- calling card info, yes.
DTMF strings within SIP, no.

Final suggestion -- if there really is some
need to send DTMF within SIP, I humbly suggest
that the dtmf be put into a MIME payload of type:
audio/telephone-events which is being defined
right now in AVT. The encoding of this MIME
type should be exactly -- the RTP dtmf payload
type. Why invent a new encoding?

Scott