RE: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-img-req-03.txt

Rod.Walsh@nokia.com Thu, 25 March 2004 14:55 UTC

From: Rod.Walsh@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-img-req-03.txt
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:45:39 +0200
To: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org, schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu, Hitoshi.Asaeda@sophia.inria.fr, nom@flab.fujitsu.co.jp, jo@tzi.uni-bremen.de, juha-pekka.luoma@nokia.com
Sender: mmusic-admin@ietf.org

Hi Magnus

Thanks for the additional comments. On the subject of intermittent connectivity you are "a bit worried that different persons will have significant different interpretation of what derivative requirements these open requirements results in".

Can you explain the problem a little please? (I assume it is associated with "The IMG system SHOULD allow for hosts with intermittent connectivity").

As a guess at the derivative requirements you mention, my understanding of the base requirement is: permanent connectivity should not be assumed for all terminals of all IMG deployments, the IMG system should not break if some delivery protocols enable intermitted delivery (for intermittent connectivity), it is up to the appropriate delivery protocols and data model to provide service for hosts with intermittent connectivity when a deployment needs this feature.

On one hand I would be happy changing SHOULD to MUST, although on the other hand I am happy with the implied requirements I would understand from the base requirement (and just stating the base requirement is a lot less verbose). If I'm, having a woods and trees lack of vision, please give me an idea of some problematic implied requirements.

Ultimately, I need an idea of whether...

   REQ REL-3: The IMG system SHOULD allow for hosts with intermittent
   connectivity.

   The implication of intermittent connectivity is that immediate
   distribution of changes becomes infeasible and so managing data
   consistency should be focused on the timely delivery of data.

...is sufficient within the scope of an Informational Requirements document in you opinion, and if there are specific improvements that are necessary.

Alternatively an extended version could be:

   REQ REL-3: The IMG system SHOULD allow for hosts with intermittent
   connectivity.

   The implication of intermittent connectivity is that immediate
   distribution of changes becomes infeasible and so managing data
   consistency should be focused on the timely delivery of data.
   Please note, these are some anticipated implications of this
   requirement: permanent connectivity is not assumed for all
   terminals of all IMG deployments, the IMG system will not break
   if some delivery protocols enable intermitted delivery (for
   intermittent connectivity), it is the task of an appropriate
   delivery protocol(s) and metadata fragmentation to provide
   consistent service for hosts with intermittent connectivity
   when a deployment needs this feature.

(The related thread text is copied below).

Cheers, Rod.