Re: [MMUSIC] What to do with the ccap attribute?

Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Mon, 10 May 2010 10:26 UTC

From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: "Simo.Veikkolainen@nokia.com" <Simo.Veikkolainen@nokia.com>, "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 04:25:12 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] What to do with the ccap attribute?

Simo,

   See my thoughts inline.  Pending more wg feedback, we can confirm the scope of a new work item.

Jean-François

There is consensus for the i= and b= line.
While Jonathan Lennox brought up discussions at the meeting about putting these params back into media capneg, we had decided to take b= out some time ago.  My preference is therefore to have misc-cap still continue with i= and b= as part of the cap neg framework.

For c=, based on the WG meeting discussions and list, it seems we do have two paths:
	- extend ICE candidates to also indicate the nettype

I'd like to hear from folks about extending ICE (pros&cons).

> As ccap is currently specified, it includes also the port number in
> addition to the contents of a "c=" line (<nettype>, <addrtype> and
> the <connection-address>). The port number is needed in order to
> indicate a port number for internet addresses, the PSTN addresses
> don't have a similar concept.
>
> Now, as a side effect, the ccap attribute could also be used to
> circumvent ICE, if one used IP4 and IP6 addrtypes as alternatives.
>
> In order to move forward with the misc-cap document I'm now asking
> how do folks feel we should handle this issue. Possible
> alternatives are at least:
>
> 1. Leave the current text as is (see [1]).
I would propose this:
	- issue your new individual ID draft with the i= and b=
	- WG chairs will get a wg formally approved for misc-cap

> 2. Make a more strict statement that ccap SHOULD NOT be used for
> v4/v6 address pairs.

> 3. Come up with altogether different way of indicating alternative
> connection addresses that fulfill our use case (PSTN/IP addresses).

Extending ICE is in that camp.