Re: DTMF & SIP

Scott Petrack <scott.petrack@metatel.com> Thu, 08 July 1999 11:24 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 07:25:45 -0400
From: Scott Petrack <scott.petrack@metatel.com>
To: Jacob Avraham <jacoba@mediagate.co.il>
cc: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dnrc.bell-labs.com>, MMUSIC list <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: Re: DTMF & SIP
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

There seem to be at least two different ways to encode DTMF information
now -- by an MGCP notification, or by an RTP payload. I personally would
have no problem encoding the RTP payload within MIME (of type
audio/rtp ?) to be put within a SIP payload, but what would the purpose
really be?

If you take the real-time info out of the DTMF, then you are left with a
string of digits. What is the purpose of transporting such a string of
digits within SIP?

Scott