RE: [MMUSIC] Re: ICE micro-lite for support of IPv6 transition

"Jean-Francois Mule" <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Thu, 03 May 2007 13:55 UTC

Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] Re: ICE micro-lite for support of IPv6 transition
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 07:55:02 -0600
From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> >>3. be much simpler than ICE-full for dual-stack endpoints that are
> not
> >>natted
> >
> > After reading a few drafts and archives in the v6ops group (old and
> > current), there are known limitations of 3484 and many proposals on
> how
> > the address selection mechanism should be updated or improved to
> > ultimately guarantee connectivity. This goes beyond the NAT cases,
> and
> > it is sometimes applicable to multi-homed v6 nodes, etc.

> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arifumi-v6ops-addr-select-ps-01
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-addr-select-
> req-01.
> > txt
> > http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2004/msg01072.html
> >
> > When I read your proposal trying to connect the dots between this
> thread
> > and the above v6ops references (looking at it as someone deciding
> what
> > to implement in a dual-stack host given the current state of the
> art),
> > it seems to me that with ICE, we have a mechanism to resolve those
> > potential 3484 issues by doing connectivity checks. Yet, we're about
> > say, no, just do ICE-lite+ and no connectivity checks.
>
> No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying, if you think you can deal with
> the
> following limitations A,B, and C, then use ice-lite. Otherwise, use
> full, and full is always better.
>
> In the case of dual-stack, I don't follow v6ops, so if you could
> provide
> some text that I could include in ICE, summarizing limitations, giving
> some guidance for when to use full, that would be great.

I will start a thread on v6ops with some proposed txt "summarizing
limitations and giving some guidance for when to use full" and see where
we end up there before coming back at this.

> > At a minimum, there should be a strong statement made in the draft
> > that
> > dual-stack hosts using 3484 SHOULD consider full implementation of
                                ^^^^^^
> > ICE.
>
> I think that this is true in general, not just for dual stack. The
> introduction, section 2.7, says this:
>
> It is important to note that the lite implementation was added to
>     this specification to provide a stepping stone to full
>     implementation.  Even for devices that are always connected to the
>     public Internet, a full implementation is preferable if
achievable.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^

> and later in the appendix:
>
>   It is important to note that the lite implementation was added to
>     this specification to provide a stepping stone to full
>     implementation.  Even for devices that are always connected to the
>     public Internet, a full implementation is preferable if
achievable.
In both instances, I note the lack of requirements verb: at best, this
will be interpreted as a lower case may. I was thinking RECOMMENDED or
SHOULD.

Jean-Francois.