Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on ABNF in 4566bis

Peter Stevens <Peter.Stevens@bbc.co.uk> Mon, 12 January 2015 17:51 UTC

From: Peter Stevens <Peter.Stevens@bbc.co.uk>
To: "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 17:51:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.19.161.212]
x-exclaimer-md-config: c91d45b2-6e10-4209-9543-d9970fac71b7
Cc: "fns-acip@list.ebu.ch" <fns-acip@list.ebu.ch>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on ABNF in 4566bis

Paul,

Apologies for delayed response.

I accept your comment of the case that we are concerned with here - extensions with backward compatibility.

In both the areas that I've cited, the same definition for both ptime and maxptime is required and that is likely to generally be the most desirable.

Syntax 3 is likely to be the most flexible.

The European Broadcasting Union - Audio Contribution overt IP (EBU ACIP) generally uses whole numbers as integers (assuming that is what the current RFC4566 definition is interpreted to mean), whereas an AES67 node could send the same value as an integer or a decimal value, with the decimal value at zero, e.g 4 or 4.000  Integer 4 would work with both, whereas 4.000 may not work within ACIP.

I don't know of other users of this potential new ptime and maxptime definition at the moment.

If the definition in (the final) RFC4566 is updated to a new one, such as syntax 3, then it would be backward compatible, and also allow newer devices to also use a newer definition and maybe also allow older devices to be updated to use the newer definition, in time.

What procedure would be required for a change in this definition? Is it just a request for a change from the organisations and support from the general community reading this list? I have sent

I see that your suggestion has popped up in http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/mmusic/trac/ticket/21 on 10th January.

Thanks

Peter

BBC R&D