Re: [MMUSIC] Re: ADs - Re: Status ofdraft-ietf-mmusic-sdescriptions-12.txt?

Mark Baugher <mbaugher@cisco.com> Wed, 08 February 2006 22:12 UTC

From: Mark Baugher <mbaugher@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Re: ADs - Re: Status ofdraft-ietf-mmusic-sdescriptions-12.txt?
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:12:14 -0800
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Cc: 'Flemming Andreasen' <fandreas@cisco.com>, 'Dan Wing' <dwing@cisco.com>, mmusic@ietf.org, 'Jon Peterson' <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, 'Allison Mankin' <mankin@psg.com>, 'Brian E Carpenter' <brc@zurich.ibm.com>, 'Colin Perkins' <csp@csperkins.org>, 'Joerg Ott' <jo@acm.org>
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

On Feb 8, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

> Comments inline...

I think it's tricky to use MKIs in this way.

>>> the sdes offerer sent the keys for transmitting media, instead of
>>> the ones
>>> for receive-side as it does with everything else in SDP.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "as it does with everything else in
>> SDP."  There are recvonly, sendonly and sendrecv attributes in SDP
>> for specifying direction semantics.  In the earliest versions of SDP
>
> Yup, sorry meant it more in the sense that when you make the offer
> you're
> saying you can immediately receive any of the offered codecs at the
> offered
> ports. (ie, with respect to early media)  A nit really.

I see your point.  We chose to treat keys differently than codecs for
the reasons I mentioned in my previous note.

>> So why not have the SDP offerer offer two keys? The quality of the
>> encryption is greatly affected by the randomness of the key.  When
>> creating keys, it is best to have each side add some randomness in
>> the key derivation as is commonly done in pairwise key establishment
>> protocols.  This is not possible for groups and sdesc needs to
>> support groups.  Supplying an encryption key to the receiver is risky
>> because in some protocols, such as SIP, the supplied key is handed to
>> a group of receivers when forking occurs, thus raising the
>> probability of SSRC collision.  The next best thing IMHO is to at
>> least allow a sender to ensure the quality of a key for *its* data by
>> supplying the decryption key for its data.  I'm not religious about
>> this point.  If supplying the encryption key (rather than or in
>> addition to the decryption key) to the receiver solved the problem
>> described above, I'd personally support that.  But it doesn't.
>
> I was waiting for that, so I could say wouldn't that also apply to
> draft-wing-mmusic-sdes-early-media-00.txt, since the draft allows the
> offerer to tell the answerer both keys?

I think it's fine to pass both keys to mitigate the problem of
sending media before the answer is received.

> But thinking about this more, I
> guess having both ways lets the market choose, which is preferred.
>
> As to the overlapping SSRC problem with an offered key, I think the
> risk of
> that happening, and happening for long enough to be cracked (in
> practical
> terms), etc., is outweighed by the usefulness of early media.

I agree.

> But we'll get
> there with the early-media draft, or just by 1xx responses w/SDP,
> so problem
> solved.  :)

We can only hope ;-)

cheers, Mark