AW: AW: [MMUSIC] Working group last call:draft-ietf-mmusic-securityprecondition-00.txt

"Stach Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens.com> Thu, 06 October 2005 10:56 UTC

Subject: AW: AW: [MMUSIC] Working group last call:draft-ietf-mmusic-securityprecondition-00.txt
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:54:47 +0200
From: Stach Thomas <thomas.stach@siemens.com>
To: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>
Cc: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, dwing@cisco.com, IETF MMUSIC working group <mmusic@ietf.org>
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Flemming,

thanks for the response. I think we are pretty much on the same track.

More inline.

That would be great. Of course 3264 must be satisfied. Therefore, this document could concentrate on the security preconditon handling.

> >Furthermore, assuming that the second offer contains the
> same key material as the first, I would also expect to find
> the same data in the second answer as in the first one,
> especially when I use Diffie-Hellmann key exchange.
> >

> Offer/answer does not require the same answer to be given, to
> the same
> offer, however, in order for the security precondition to be
> meaningful,
> we actually want the subsequent answer to contain the same keying
> material, etc. We'll add some text around that.

My intention was to clarify the handling of the key material.
I agree on the rest of the offer/answer exchange.
Just for completeness, the second offer could already be different (within the constraints of the offer/answer model).
Here, I think at the one of N codec selection as mentioned in RFC 3264.

> >Sending again the same MIKEY message in the second offer can
> interfere with the replay attack handling of MIKEY. Of course
> we don't want to regard the second message as a replay.
> >How should that be handled?
> >Maybe it is fine to e.g. hide the second MIKEY message from
> the MIKEY handler and just check if it is identical to the first one?
> >Or I could also imagine that some one updates the time stamp
> for the second MIKEY message? But will/should that be
> interpreted as re-keying by the MIKEY handler? Remembering
> postings on implementor's lists I could imagine other weird
> interpretations too.
> >

> There are two issues here really:
> 1. kmgmt is a container that can be used to carry pretty much
> anything,
> so I'm not sure we can come up with a set of procedures that are
> guaranteed to work for everything here. Some general statements will
> probably have to be provided with a note that specific requirements
> above and beyond those may have to be provided by the actual key
> management protocol being used. In the current document, we
> have simply
> noted that the details depend on the actual key management protocol
> being used, but we can probably say a bit more than that
> (specifically
> on subsequent offers and answers).

Fully agreed.

> 2. MIKEY is an example of a specific key management protocol
> used with
> the kmgmt extensions, and, as you point out, we should probably say
> something about how to deal with MIKEY in here.  If you have any
> specific suggestions for how to deal with MIKEY here, they
> would be very
> welcome.

I guess you want some proposal before the cut-off for IETF-64.
I'll try to send it during next week, if that's alright.

Kind Regards
Thomas