Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-zhou-mmusic-sdes-keymod-01

zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn Thu, 18 October 2012 06:42 UTC

To: ekr@rtfm.com, bernard_aboba@hotmail.com
From: zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:42:20 +0800
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-zhou-mmusic-sdes-keymod-01

Hi, Eric and Bernard,

 Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed a lot of emails from the list.

 Concerning your commonts, I have the following responses:

 1. I agree SDES is not a secure solution in all kinds of key
agreements/transportation protocols.
 2. The extension I proposed in the draft brings no more problem to the
original SDES, the problem you
described is misleading.
   Firstly, the key transportation in SDES is protected by other
protocols, such as TLS, that is the important assumption.
         without the assumption, it is useless to discuss the security of
SDES, how can you expect a protocol sending key in plaintext to be called
secure?
         Under this assumption, the Proxy trying to modify the key does
not exist, intermediate servers in the path are assumed trusted, the only
possible Proxy attacker is
         one of the forking terminals, if such a terminal triggers Alice
into using an arbitrary key,  the key will be used between Alice and the
attacker terminal.
 Secondly, the aim of SDES is to protect transported information in
confidentialty and integrity,
         in the original SDES, if no additional protection is to be
applied to SDES, any one on path can see the key, and can obtain the
plaintext, modify it.
         in the extensioned SDES, the attacker can modify the key of the
sender, then what else he can obtain besides plaintext and modifying it?
         Consider if one solution is more secure than another, I think the
evaluation must be done according to the same goal.
         An example:
            the first case. a thief can get any key to  the door lock
somehow, so the thief can get into the house any time;
            the second case. the thief is the door lock provider, and he
obviously keeps a copy of any key he sells out.
            Which one do you think is more weaker or more secure?

"
I agree.  Since the (only) major advantage of SDES is its widespread
deployment,
it makes little sense to introduce patches that are unlikely to be widely
implemented,
particularly when they introduce other security problems.

"