Iterating draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-tcpmedia-00.txt

David Yon <yon@dialout.net> Thu, 14 December 2000 00:25 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:25:58 -0500
To: confctrl@ISI.EDU
From: David Yon <yon@dialout.net>
Subject: Iterating draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-tcpmedia-00.txt
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

Thanks everyone for the warm reception and feedback at the MMUSIC WG
meeting today.  While it is fresh in everyone's mind, I'd like to collect a
laundry list of discussion items for the next version of the draft.

Jonathan suggested that we fold in all the connection-oriented protocols
that we currently know about into the draft.  SSL, TLS, RTSP, et al.  While
I wish I was an encyclopedia of existing network protocols, I'm not.
:-)  So if folks could chime in with their favorite connection-oriented
protocols they would like to see listed, that would help me a great deal.

On that topic, apparently there is an ambiguity as to what is meant by
"RTP/AVP-TCP".  If there are still issues to be hammered out on how RTP/AVP
is transported over TCP, I would submit that it is not an issue to be
addressed by my draft.  On the other hand, correct me if I'm wrong, but I
*thought* I was hearing that perhaps there were two competing ways to do
it.  If that's the case, it seems like we should either standardize on one
approach (elsewhere), or my draft should list two different protocol names
(i.e., RTP/AVP-TCP-1 and RTP/AVP-TCP-2 for lack of a better naming
covention).  Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

I didn't hear any dissent on having "direction:both" be the default value,
any objection?

Brian Rosen spoke with me afterward and suggested that the draft might be
unnecessarily biased towards TCP, whereas with some minor rewording it
might expand in scope to all connection-oriented protocols without any
additional complexity.  Brian if you could elaborate on this a bit that
would be helpful.  I have a few reservations about it but I'd like to hear
again what you are looking for so that I'm fully understanding what you are
after.

Several people pointed out that my firewall example was flawed, at least in
the case of the firewall performing N/PAT.  Well, yes.  But I would just
like to clarify that the draft, by itself, is not a complete firewall
solution nor is it intended to be.  It can, in some cases, help the
situation by (a) allowing media endpoints be more firewall friendly, and
(b) making it easier to write ALP's as the long-term solution.  But at the
end of the day it is a non-goal for this draft to provide a complete answer
to the firewall and N/PAT boondoggle.

Based on the meeting, that's all I can think of for open issues.  If anyone
else has comments feel free to elaborate.

And thanks again to everyone!

David Yon
Chief Technical Officer
Dialout.Net, Inc.