Re: [MMUSIC] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-sip-sdp-37: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Tue, 06 August 2019 20:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 15:02:54 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, "fandreas@cisco.com" <fandreas@cisco.com>, "mmusic-chairs@ietf.org" <mmusic-chairs@ietf.org>, "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-sip-sdp@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-sip-sdp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-sip-sdp-37: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 01:51:23PM -0400, Roman Shpount wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Thank You for the review!
>
> I agree with most of what Chirster said with some clarifications tha I have
> provided inline.
>
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:42 AM Christer Holmberg <
> christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> wrote:
>
> > > Do we have anywhere a definition of what it means to "indicate ICE
> > support in an SDP offer/answer"?
> > > (As distinct from ice2 support.)  We refer to the concept in several
> > places but there are many protocol
> > > fields that might be interpreted as such; is any one of them sufficient?
> >
> > I don't there is a definition. It basically means when the offer or answer
> > contains ICE-related attributes.
> >
> > I guess we could add some text about that.
> >

> We can add some language in section 3.2.5 "Verifying ICE support". We will
> need to add that ice-ufrag and ice-pwd must be specified for the m= line.
> If these two attributes are specified  and the rest of the conditions
> specified in section 3.2.5 are satisfied, ICE is supported and procedures
> specified in this document are used.
>

> > Section 3.2.2
> >
> > > Aren't "rtcp attribute SHOULD be included" and "rtcp attribute MAY be
> > omitted" just duplicating existing normative requirements
> > > from previous specifications (which thus would not need new normative
> > language here)?
> >
> > Correct. The SHOULD and MAY shall not be normative. The MUST will remain,
> > though.
> >

> Part of the problem is that RFC 5245 section 4.3 (
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5245#section-4.3) specified that a=rtcp
> attribute MUST be included. This specification relaxes this requirement and
> states that a=rtcp attribute SHOULD only be included if separate port is
> used for RTCP and RTCP port is not RTP port plus one. This language reverts
> RFC 5245 language to original requirements from RFC3605.

Ah, I had missed that subtlety.  It sounds like this would be useful in a
"changes from RFC 5245" section, except that per Alissa's position, we are
probably not obsoleting RFC 5245 anymore in this document.  But probably we
can still have a similar section.

> > (Unfortunately, for backward compatibility, we have to deal with some
> > legacy offer/answer restrictions, including those related to the m= line
> > values. If we would know that every device (including intermediaries)
> > support ICE we wouldn't need the m= line for anything)
> >
> > I think Adam earlier addressed Éric's comment on having IPv6 examples.
> > However, if including IPv6 examples would make the spec more easy to
> > understand then I think we should include them.
> >

> We can include IPv6 host candidates in examples. This would reflect the
> real use cases.
>

> > Section 3.4.1.2.2
> >
> > >   line associated with that data stream MUST match the data associated
> > >   with the nominated pair for that data stream.  In addition, the
> > >   offerer only includes SDP candidates representing the local
> > >   candidates of the nominated candidate pair.  The offerer MUST NOT
> > >   include any other SDP candidate attributes in the subsequent offer.
> > >
> > > Does this mean that exactly one a=candidate line must appear in the
> > corresponding m= section?
> >
> > Correct. Do you think that needs to be more clear?
> >

> Correction, one candidate per component must appear in the corresponding m=
> section. If RTCP is used, two candidates will be present.

The correction is appreciated :)

Thanks,

Ben