Status of the MODEMMGT Working Group

"Mark S. Lewis" <mlewis@america.telebit.com> Fri, 23 April 1993 02:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 17:02:37 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Mark S. Lewis" <mlewis@america.telebit.com>
To: modemmgt@telebit.com
Subject: Status of the MODEMMGT Working Group

Congratulations you are a part of a new working group!  The MODEMMGT
Working group was approved last Thursday.  Now we have work to do.

ADMINISTRIVIA

The mailing list is up and running.  Send discussion to
modemmgt@telebit.com.  To subscribe, send e-mail to
majordomo@telebit.com and include in the message just "subscribe".

The ftp repository is setup.  I have collected related mibs on
ftp.telebit.com in the directory /pub/modemmgt/mibs.  This is where
drafts will be placed.  The current contents of the mib directory are:

   Telebit.mib                        - Telebit's enterprise mib
   USR.mib                            - US Robotics initial modem mib
   draft-ietf-pppext-bridgemib-02.txt - PPP bridge mib
   draft-ietf-pppext-ipcpmib-02.txt   - PPP ipcp mib
   draft-ietf-pppext-lcpmib-02.txt    - PPP lcp mib
   draft-ietf-pppext-secmib-02.txt    - PPP security mib
   rfc1316.txt                        - Character mib
   rfc1317.txt                        - RS-232-like mib
   rfc1318.txt                        - Parallel-printer-like
   rfc1406.txt                        - DS1 and E1 Interface mib

DRAFT MIB

As discussed in the approved charter (included below), the first goal
is to post a draft of the modem mib by June 93.  The effort to draft
the mib needs to begin ASAP.

I would like to know who is interested in writing the document.  I
have a couple of ideas, but please contract me directly if you are
interested.

TR-30.4 PARTICIPATION

During the process of getting the working group charter approved, it
became clear that the two groups must operate in a separate but
cooperative fashion.  This working group welcomes TR-30.4 member
participation but cannot rely on a work outside the group.

MEETINGS

Assuming we have a draft in June 1993, I would like to arrange a
public meeting to review it.  I would like to pose a couple of options
to the group.

1. We could meet at the next IETF meeting which will be held July
   12-16 in Amsterdam at the RAI Congress Centre.

2. We could meet some other time in July in the US somewhere.  If you
   have a preference for location, please note it.

3. We could skip the public meeting in favor of only e-mail review.

Please let the list know which of these options you prefer.  I will
keep a tally.

... Mark

==========--------------       Mark S. Lewis      ----------==========
Mark.S.Lewis@Telebit.com       Telebit Corp.      Voice (408) 745-3232

Modem Management (modemmgt)

Charter

Chair(s):
     Mark Lewis  <Mark.S.Lewis@telebit.com>

Network Management Area Director(s)
     Marshall Rose  <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>

Mailing lists:
     General Discussion:modemmgt@Telebit.com
     Archive:           ftp.telebit.com:~/pub/modemmgt

Description of Working Group:

     The Modem Management working group is chartered to define a MIB
     module for dial-up modems and similar dial-up devices.  This MIB
     module will provide a set of objects that are the minimum necessary
     to provide the ability to monitor and control those devices, and
     will be consistent with the SNMP framework and existing SNMP
     standards.

     The working group will consider existing specifications including
     the RS-232-Like, the Character, the PPP and other related MIB
     modules.  It will consider enterprise-specific MIB modules which
     support modems-like devices.  The working group will also consider
     the TSB Study Group 14s work on an OSI CMIS/CMIP object definition
     for V series DCEs entitled ``Managed Object Template for V-Series
     DCE's''.

Goals and Milestones:

   Jun 93 Post an Internet Draft of the Modem Management MIB.

   Oct 93 Submit the Modem Management MIB to the IESG for consideration as a
          Proposed Standard.