Re: [Modern] A revised revised MODERN charter

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 30 April 2015 20:40 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>, "modern@ietf.org" <modern@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 20:40:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.39]
Subject: Re: [Modern] A revised revised MODERN charter

Well here is where it would help if people actually read E.164, and why I referred to annex A, especially when you say the terminology defined there does not suit your purpose.

To the best of my knowledge US freephone numbers are international E.164 numbers. They can be used across national boundaries; all that happens is that the resultant call is not free of charge.

If they are not used across national boundaries, I suspect they fall into the class identified in E.164 annex A.8.3.2 as international special purpose numbers used nationally.

What you mean by service codes are, I suspect, identified in E.164 annex A.8.3.1 as Local Special Purpose Numbers.

"telephone number range" is just a means of specifying multiple numbers in one go. It does not remove the necessity of saying what those numbers are.

As regards the latter part of your mail, IETF has zero responsibility for redefining the numbering plan for the telephony world, or its administration. If you want to do that, I suggest you get your tickets to ITU-T SG2.

Keith