Re: [MEXT] situation with the -whyauthdataoption document

"Ahmad Muhanna" <amuhanna@nortel.com> Wed, 10 September 2008 14:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:28:53 -0500
From: Ahmad Muhanna <amuhanna@nortel.com>
To: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>, Arnaud Ebalard <arno@natisbad.org>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Cc: draft-ietf-mip6-whyauthdataoption@tools.ietf.org, Pasi Eronen <Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com>, mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] situation with the -whyauthdataoption document
Sender: mext-bounces@ietf.org

I also would like to comment on the justification of the need to use
Auth Protocol (RFC4285) based on the argument that MIP6 IPsec based
solution is becoming very complex.

I agree on the fact that any IPv6 mobility protocol (Client based or
Network based) needs to sincerely address the transitional period of
IPv4 transport/addressing while evolving to a full IPv6 deployment. I
also may add that this transitional period could take a long time.
However, trying to address every home-made deployment where a NAT MAY
exist in any place in the network is to some extent an exaggeration, the
least to be said. Also, IMO, that does not help in speeding IPv6
deployment nor shortening the transitional period.

For sure when all kind of NAT possibilities needs to be considered then,
you will have a complex IPsec based solution. But, many deployments do
not need to have that complexity! IMO, the best approach is to define
the respected standard which addresses the major deployments where a NAT
is not present and, after or in parallel, the solution which addresses
the presence of NAT wherever it is needed or any where in the network is
developed. This way we can have a more accurate assessment of the
complexity of the IPsec base MIP6 protocol before making a 180 degrees
turn and start contradicting what has been said about Auth protocol and
RFC4285.

Additionally, since probably all of the supporting mechanisms for a full
and dynamic deployment of IPsec based MIP6 solution has been identified
over the last few years, it will be a very good to have a quick exercise
on what is needed to bring Auth protocol solution to equal footing and
probably then compare its complexity too!

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Ahmad