Re: Terminology and scenario (wasRe: [Monami6] about draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement-05current)

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Tue, 26 July 2005 15:29 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: Terminology and scenario (wasRe: [Monami6] about draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement-05current)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:29:07 +0200
To: Ryuji Wakikawa <ryuji@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Cc: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Sender: monami6-bounces@lists.ietf.org

El 26/07/2005, a las 16:19, Ryuji Wakikawa escribió:

>>> I think PrefB:MN can be selected according to the same mechanism of
>>> IPv6 source address selection. (i.e. by Address longest match).
>>>

>> right

>>> It depens on where the HA is located, but..
>>
>> right
>>
>>> When the MN attempts to use PrefB:MN, it fails to send CoTI/HoTI and
>>> will
>>> not receive CoT/HoT.  Therefore, it will give up using PrefB:MN and
>>> will
>>> pick up PrefA:MN. right?
>>>

>> ok, this is interesting, since the HoTI/HoT CoTI/CoT message could in
>> fact be used, as you mention, as a mechanism to explore paths
>>
>>> So is there any possible issue here?
>>>

>> i don't know, but maybe it is worth exploring a bit further...
>> The point in this scenario is that you need to use different CoAs to
>> communicate with different CN.
>
> OK.
>
>> I mean, only the following combination of address work:
>> - PrefB:MN, CN1
>> - PrefA:MN, CN2
>>
>> The other two combinations, i.e. PrefA:MN, CN1 and PrefB:MN, CN2 don't
>> work
>>
>> So, when the MN is in RO mode, it would need to use different CoAs
>> with
>> different CNs, which i am not sure it is supported...
>> in particular, which CoA will the MN register in the HA in this
>> scenario?
>
> To send CoTI for both PrefA:MN and PrefB:MN, the MN must register the
> CoAs to HA (i.e. MCoA). The MN may stop using RO mode and sends
> packets through its HA.
>
>> I guess that only one CoA will be reachable from the HA, depending
>> whether the HA is in ISPB or somewhere else.
>
> right. However, the MN will know the destination unreachable by
> receiving ICMP error messages.  Then, the MN should use different HA
> (i.e. HoA) for the unreachable destination.
>
>> But in any case, maybe more inteligence in the CoA selection may be
>> needed for this case...
>
> If we need to consdider the case where HA lost reachability to a
> destination,

ok, this is another good point that is that the MN through one of its
CoAs can reach the CN but the HA cannot.

>  we have to consider a nice HoA selection mechanism. But i
> think it can be achieved by MN receiving ICMP error messages.

First of all, imho having a fault tolernace mechanism (such as a
multihoming mechanism) based on ICMP unreachable mechanism seems not a
good idea (AFAIK, relying in ICMP has been discarded in MIPv6 design
and in multi6 design, becuase ISMP are filtered too often to rely on
them)

So i would not count on ICMPs
I would use them as hints, but i wouldn't asume that they will be there
and base the mechanism on it.

Second, i guess we need to explore the different scenarios in more
detail but at least, i would like to know if we agree that the
reachability property is related to an address pair, an not to a given
HoA or CoA.

I mean, it is not good to say, "ok, i will use this CoA because it it
reachable", but what would be more appropriate would be to say "this
CoA is reachable from this particular CN address" and maybe for a
different CN, a different CoA is needed.

The idea is to talk about working address pairs, rather than a
reachable address

Is this good?

regards, marcelo