Re: [Mpls-interop] draft-blb-mpls-tp-framework-01

"BOCCI Matthew" <Matthew.Bocci@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 17 November 2008 21:11 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:11:45 +0100
From: BOCCI Matthew <Matthew.Bocci@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <nurit.sprecher@nsn.com>, stbryant@cisco.com, julien.meuric@orange-ftgroup.com
Cc: mpls-interop@ietf.org, "Weingarten, Yaacov (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <yaacov.weingarten@nsn.com>
Subject: Re: [Mpls-interop] draft-blb-mpls-tp-framework-01
Sender: mpls-interop-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Nurit,

I'm OK with your suggestion to indicate that ACH channels are used for
control messages that support the FCAPS mechanisms and that they may be
used in the future for other mechanisms as well. However, we must still
make it clear that there are  some constraints on that e.g. these future
mechanisms must not include transport of user plane traffic, etc

Please see below for responses to your other comments.

Matthew

There were a number of motivations for the TP framework draft. One was
of course to specify the architecture of MPLS-TP. The other is to give
an overview of the subset of existing MPLS and new MPLS-TP functions
that make up MPLS-TP. This is not intended to respecify anything in the
other framework drafts, but I do agree that it might be a bit of a
challenge to keep this draft in sync with the other drafts.

> > 2.    The same holds for survivability (and I guess also for NMS).
> > *Please remove the section and just refer to the survivability
> > framework document*.

Please see my comment above.

> > 3.    I would expect to find a *section defining the TC (Tandem
> > Connection) architectural functional element* that allows us to
> > *monitor*, *manage* and *protect* a segment of LSP or one-or-more
> > segments of PWs. This is a *fundamental* architectural functional
> > element in MPLS-TP.

Agreed. We will add this in the next version.

> > 4.    In section 3.2 the OAM mechanisms are discussed "Section RFC
> > 4379 [23]and BFD for MPLS LSPs [24] have defined alert
> mechanisms that
>
> > enable a MPLS LSR to identify and process MPLS OAM packets when the
> > OAM packets are encapsulated in an IP header.  These alert
> mechanisms
> > are based on TTL expiration and/or use an IP destination address in
> > the range 127/8.  These mechanisms are the default
> mechanisms for MPLS
>
> > networks in general for identifying MPLS OAM   packets when the OAM
> > packets are encapsulated in an IP header. MPLS-TP must not rely on
> > these mechanisms, and thus relies on the GACH/GAL to
> demultiplex OAM
> > packets." This looks relating more to the analysis/solution
> document
> > and not to the framework.

The GACH/GAL, and the addressing scheme and use (or not) of IP in
forwarding, demuliplexing OAM, etc is in my opinion quite fundamental to
the architecture of MPLS-TP, and not just a solution.

> > 5.    It is written that the GE-ACH can be used for OAM,
> and APS, SCC,
>
> > MCC or other packet types in band over LSPs or PWs. I think
> the only
> > thing we agreed to define right now is channels for OAM
> functions. We
> > need to ensure that other channels can e defined as well.
> For example,
>
> > when we define a protocol for synchronizing protection
> state between
> > peers (what you call APS) we need to define a channel for this, the
> > same for other functions like signaling, management, etc. I
> would take
>
> > these examples out of section 3.4.2 as well. We need to identify
> > control packets.
> >
> > 6.    If section 3.6 is included in this document it needs
> to indicate
>
> > that there is a need for static provisioning of protection
> entities,
> > OAM entities, etc.

Do you mean as opposed to or in addition to control plane or based on
some sort of discovery mechanism?

If so, I agree.

> > 7.    Regarding bi-directional LSPs, it is important to
> indicate that
> > they should be co-routed and that the nodes need to be aware of the
> > relationship between both directions (this is needed for example in
> > order to generate OAM AIS messages). This has a clear impact for
> > example that if we refer to a control plane, than GMPLS should be
> used.

That's what we meant by "congruent", but I can see that this could be
interpreted as simply say that the forward and reverse directions must
traverse the same nodes, without actually implying an associated bethwee
forward and reverse directions of the LSP or PW at those nodes. I agree
we should add a clarification of this.