Re: [mpls-tp] [PWE3] MPLS working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-data-plane-01.txt

Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com> Tue, 13 April 2010 13:56 UTC

From: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
To: Dan Frost <danfrost@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:56:07 +0300
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] [PWE3] MPLS working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-data-plane-01.txt

Dan, Stewart, Matthew and all,
Lots of thanks for a detailed response to my comments.
Most of them seem to be addressed fully.

However, I would highly appreciate your clarification on the
relationship between the PST and the UNIFORM model.

The text in Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-framework says:

<quote>
   1) The PST would use the uniform model of TC code point copying
      between sub-layers for diffserv such that the E2E markings and
      PHB treatment for the transport path was preserved by the PST.

   2) The PST would use the pipe model for TTL handling such that MIP
      addressing for the E2E entity would be not be impacted by the
      presence of the PST.
<end quote>

The first statement looks correct

The 2nd statement looks incorrect to me, since pipe model for the PST means that E2E MIPs in the nodes within a PST will become non-addressable, and E2E MISs in the nodes after the PST termination will change their "addressing".

So stating that UNIFORM model is NOT REQUIRED in MPLS-TP sounds to me as "PST is NOT REQUIRED in MPLS-TP".
I am actually OK with this statement, but should it not be made explicitly? And how would it correlate with the requirement in Section 2.1.1. of the (approved for publication) draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-06:

<quote>
	The protocol solution(s) MUST be applicable end-to-end and to segments
<end quote

Regards,
     Sasha