Re: [mpls-tp] [mpls] Draft: Response to Updated draft Recommendation G.tpoam[Ref043.02]

Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk> Thu, 13 January 2011 13:50 UTC

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <ben@niven-jenkins.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:52:40 +0000
To: HUANG Feng F <Feng.f.Huang@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] [mpls] Draft: Response to Updated draft Recommendation G.tpoam[Ref043.02]

Feng, colleagues,

On 13 Jan 2011, at 10:31, HUANG Feng F wrote:
> [...]

We seem to be going round the same loop we've being going round for a while.

An OAM solution (draft-bhh) was submitted for consideration and the MPLS WG decided to select a different proposal for MPLS-TP OAM. That's life, that's how standards development works because standards development is "design by committee" and that means that the decisions of the "committee" are unlikely to please everyone all of the time.

> I would like the ITU-T to continue with its collaborative agreement with the IETF and ensure that the development of the protocol is done as agreed and supported by SG15 using the IETF processes.
>
> HF> I can't image the meaning of cooperation is that ITU-T do nothing and just obey IETF's process!

It isn't, but that collaborative agreement recognised IETF as being the protocol design authority for MPLS & MPLS-TP, which means IETF have the final decision on what the MPLS-TP protocols are and how they work.

What you seem to be arguing for is that IETF just obey the demands of other organisations, i.e. to paraphrase your argument: "CCSA have used draft-bhh in one of their standards so IETF must rubber stamp it as being part of MPLS-TP".

It was similar behaviour (ITU-T defining MPLS extensions without consultation with IETF) that causes the original bun fight that lead to the JWT etc being formed and much time being expended on politics rather than technical work to get us to where we are.

I suggest we stop trying to re-ignite a debate as to whether the MPLS-TP OAM solution should include draft-bhh or not as the decision has been made. Let's accept that decision.

In future if another standards body wants to use an Internet-Draft as the basis for one of their standards they would be well advised to enquire of the IETF as to the status and likely future of the Internet-Draft before making any decisions and we could avoid these sorts of situations occurring in the first place.

Ben

P.S. I think the original liaison text is fine as-is.