Re: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP protocol/payload type usage in OAMExtractionProcess

Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com> Fri, 13 March 2009 14:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:51:37 +0100
From: Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com>
To: davarish@yahoo.com
Cc: ahmpls-tp@lists.itu.int, mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP protocol/payload type usage in OAMExtractionProcess

Shahram,

Both methods
1) choose the Ethernet layer as unifying layer, which is essentially what
MEF advocates with their EVC layer
2) introduce a MPLS VC (true co-ps MPLS-TP MS-PW) layer for p2p and p2mp
services
will work if we reuse the PWE3 encapsulations to map the p2p and p2mp PWE3
clients into the EVCs.

What we need to do for this latter item is to request Ethertype values for
each of the PWE3 clients.
Below is a list of such clients:

ATM VPC/VCC n:1 cell mode     To be assigned XX-X1
ATM VPC 1:1 cell mode         To be assigned XX-X2
ATM VCC 1:1 cell mode         To be assigned XX-X3
AAL5 CPCS-SDU mode            To be assigned XX-X4
AAL4 PDU frame mode           To be assigned XX-X5
FR 1:1                        To be assigned XX-X6
FR port                       To be assigned XX-X7
HDLC                          To be assigned XX-X9
PPP                           To be assigned XX-X8
SDH VC11                      To be assigned XX-X10
SDH VC12                      To be assigned XX-X11
SDH VC3                       To be assigned XX-X12
SDH VC4                       To be assigned XX-X13

The encapsulation into an EVC will use the PWE3 encapsulations as specified
in the RFCs. The TYPE field with the EtherType will then be added on top of
the Control Word. And on top of the TYPE field we will get the SA and DA
fields.

---------------------
|       DA          |
---------------------
|       SA          |
---------------------
|      TYPE         |
|       CW plus     |
|   remainder of    |
|   PWE3 packet     |

Refer to the attached pdf file for the PWE3 frame formats extended with
Ethernet TYPE field.

Regards,
Maarten

  _____