Re: [mpls] Open DT agenda for 2021-09-09

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Wed, 08 September 2021 19:05 UTC

To: John E Drake <jdrake@juniper.net>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Cc: "pals-chairs@ietf.org" <pals-chairs@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, DetNet Chairs <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 21:05:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [mpls] Open DT agenda for 2021-09-09

John,

Tnx for comments.

There is a couple of thing we need to converged on. For example how we
use "Ancillary data".

Both you and me seem to mean what Kireeti call "post stack data" when we
say "ancillary data".

To me it seem that Kireeti works with three "variants" of ancillary data
- no data
- in stack data
- post stack data

In an earlier mail I pointed to an addition to my text I promised to
align my text with whatever terminology we agreed to on Thursday.

We might even include a terminology section in the
Framework/Architecture document.

On 08/09/2021 17:35, John E Drake wrote:
> Loa,
>
> Regarding your "Thoughts on Encapsulating ancillary data", I think we need to define for a given forwarding action whether it requires ancillary data.
Yes - I say that in my text also. A bit cryptic, but the assumption
section says:

    "Which flags that are "no-data", "in-stack-data" or "after-the-BoS-
     data" is not decided here, but when the flags flags are specified.
     This is just EXAMPLES to be used for explanatory purpose."

Yes so I agree, actually we need to specify which variant of data that
is needed when a flag is specified.

  I agree with Kireeti that any ancillary data required by forwarding
actions should be encoded in the MPLS label stack.

I don't think Kireeti says that, he operates with three variants, "no
data", "in-stack data", and "post-stack"

  So, what we should have is an LSE containing the forwarding actions
followed by LSEs for each forwarding action that requires ancillary data.

Here I don't follow, the post stack data is not an LSE. But the TLV
structure I defined does that, kind of.

These LSEs should be in the same order in which the forwarding actions
are defined;  if forwarding actions 1, 3, and 5 require ancillary data,
then following the LSE containing the forwarding actions there should be
three LSEs, for forwarding actions 1, 3, and 5.

Yes, that could work, if the flag position is put in the flag field in
the order they are defined. I think that is the same thing as to say as
the flags representing the forwarding action appears in flag field.

> I also think we need to specify that a transit node should only process the forwarding actions it understands and ignore the others, and that when constructing the FAI LSEs the ingress node should only include forwarding actions understood both by it and by the egress node.  I think the implication of these rules is that a every node needs to understand every bit in the forwarding actions up to a given bit position.  I.e., it can't selectively support individual forwarding actions.

I think this is a strong possibility, but it wasoutside the the scope of
the present text, when I wrote it. We could discuss and include if we
converge.

/Loa