Re: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-sig-requirement-03.txt

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Wed, 06 July 2005 22:45 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: neil.2.harrison@bt.com, yasukawa.seisho@lab.ntt.co.jp
Subject: Re: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-sig-requirement-03.txt
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:47:41 +0100
Cc: mpls@ietf.org
Sender: mpls-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi Neil,

Speaking as a co-author of draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-sig-requirement-03.txt and
of draft-yasukawa-mpls-p2mp-oam-reqs-00.txt I can give an answer. Seisho
may want to comment further.

"protected by" is certainly not supposed to suggest that each and every
fault can be rectified by fast error recovery mechanisms. And, of course,
it would be crazy to expect that since failures of, for example, the
ingress router are not recoverable.

So, yes, "protected by" refers to defects that are protectable and
reported/detected, and only applies if the service has actually been
protected.

As you say, fault rectification is only going to take place if it is
detected in or reported to the layer in which we are deploying P2MP MPLS
TE. Further, as we attempt to say in the P2MP OAM requirements draft
(and/or inherit from the P2P OAM requirements draft) the higher layer must
be careful not to react too precipitously to a fault which the lower layer
may be in the process of solving.

With regard to "non-objectives". The non-objectives stated are NOT
non-objectives of the MPLS WG wrt to P2MP TE signaling. They are
non-objectives of *this* I-D. As the specific OAM subsection states, P2MP
OAM is discussed in a separate I-D.

There are three reasons for this:
1. OAM is not really a signaling requirement.
2. It is sufficiently large and important that folding it into the
signaling requirements I-D would make the signaling requirements I-D
unwieldy.
3. P2MP OAM needs to apply more widely than just TE (e.g. to LDP
multicast)

Cheers,
Adrian