[mpls] Re: AD review: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-mpls

Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com> Thu, 13 September 2007 11:28 UTC

From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:28:14 +0300
To: ext Bruce Davie <bdavie@cisco.com>
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, tsvwg WG <tsvwg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-mpls@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [mpls] Re: AD review: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-mpls

Hi, Bruce,

On 2007-9-12, at 17:04, ext Bruce Davie wrote:
>  Thanks for the comments. Before I respond to them, I wanted to
> mention one change that Bob and I want to make in the next revision
> in addition to the changes you request. It is just a small point of
> clarification, but we don't want to surprise anyone. The proposed
> new text, which would appear at the end of Section 6, is included
> below:
>
> We note that in a network where L-LSPs are used, ECN marking SHOULD
> NOT cause packets from the same microflow but with different ECN
> markings to be sent on different LSPs. As discussed in [RFC3270],
> packets of a single microflow should always travel on the same LSP
> to avoid possible misordering. Thus, ECN marking of packets on L-
> LSPs SHOULD only affect the EXP value of the packets.

thanks for the heads-up. This clarification seems fine to me.

(I'm cutting things from your reply that I agree with.)

> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:40 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:
>> (1) Section 8.3 doesn't really discuss an "example use", which is
>> what the title of Section 8 is. Suggest to cut it or move the
>> content elsewhere.
>
> In my mind, section 8.3 is an example of how you can use ECN in
> MPLS networks. I think the problem here is that we didn't say
> enough to make that apparent. At the same time, I don't really see
> any harm in dropping the section.

I'd prefer clarifying the example over removing it. If that's doable,
great.

>> (3) My recollection was that there was an agreement to move the
>> discussion of how one would use this to support PCN to an
>> appendix. Some of this has happened, but Section 8.4 still exist
>> in the main body of the document, and is longer than all the other
>> example uses. I suggest to replace the content of Section 8.4 with
>> a pointer to the appendix, and move the PCN details there.
>
> We certainly moved all the protocol details around PCN support to
> an appendix as previously agreed. I have no problem moving most of
> this section to an appendix too.

I'm not saying you should move all of it. Leave a sentence or two in
Section 8.4, but move more of the details to the appendix. My basic
concern was that there is still a lot of emphasis on the PCN usage
example compared to the other ones, which could make it look as if
PCN was _the_ intended usage, instead of one possible use case.

(I might be nitpicking here. If so, feel free to let me know.)

I tagged this as "Revised ID Needed" in the tracker. I fully expect
the next revision that fixes these nits to directly go to IETF last
call.

Lars