Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-zjns-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply

<thomas.morin@orange.com> Fri, 02 November 2012 11:07 UTC

From: thomas.morin@orange.com
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:07:45 +0000
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20121026 Thunderbird/16.0.2
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.6]
Cc: MPLS <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-zjns-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply@tools.ietf.org" <draft-zjns-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply@tools.ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-zjns-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply

Hi Loa,

Here is my feedback on draft-zjns-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply.

Short answer: yes, it seems to me that the document is coherent, useful,
technically sound, and ready to be considered for WG adoption.

Beyond this, here are a few other comments (which I think can be
addressed after eventual adoption if they are not before):

- the name of the document and message sounds quite weird to my ears:
"Echo Relay Reply" looks like meaning "a reply to an echo relay"; why
not naming it "Relayed Echo Reply", making it clearer that it's just
like an Echo Reply, but Relayed...?

- maybe the document should be marked as "Updates RFC4379" (sections 4.1
and 4.5)

- about how to populate the "Relay Node Address Stack" (section 4.1):

"When the echo request is first sent by initiator, a  TLV with the
initiator address in the stack and its source port MUST be included."
--> shouldn't the text be more explicit on how the stack is initially
populated (at least give an example) ?  Making it clearer in the
introduction that the scheme is designed to work in context where the
initiator knows how to populate a the stack.

- still about how to populate the "Relay Node Address Stack" (section
4.1): by the way, I can see how is the initiator can guess the IP of the
first ASBR (BGP next-hop), but not how it's supposed to guess how to
populate the stack in, for instance, an inter-AS case where there is
more than two ASes ; that would deserve being explained, IMHO

- the security section is probably worth being worked on more:
   * addressing DoS risks by adding a rate limiter:
     (a) seems to be a poor solution: the rate limiter may reduce DoS
risk on the router control plane, but creates a risk of DoS on the LSP
Ping service itself.
     (b) is already what is suggested by RFC4379 anyways, so the draft
could as well just point to RFC4379 security section
   * MPLS LSP Ping create an increased risk of DoS, by putting the IP of
a victim router in the Relay Node Address Stack of multiple messages
sent to many routers; this ability to multiply the DoS effect without
having to spoof IP source address looks new to me

- editorial nits:
   * message names are sometimes capitalized, sometimes not; better to
capitalize them always ?
   * section 4.3: "encapsulation processing" -> why not just "processing"
   * section 4.5: s/echo relay reply/echo reply/ in the first sentence ?
   * section 4.5, bullet 1 : why adding the sentence "the processing of
                             ... is the same as..." ?
   * "UDP port is set to 3503." is said in many places; why not factor
that out and say that UDP ports are set just like in RFC4379 ?

-Thomas Morin

2012-10-12, Loa Andersson:

> Mach, Daniel and Thomas,
>

> You have been selected as an MPLS Review team reviewers for
> draft-zjns-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply.
>
> Note to authors: You have been CC’d on this email so that you can know
> that this review is going on. However, please do not review your own
> document.
>
> Reviews should comment on whether the document is coherent,
> is it useful (ie, is it likely to be actually useful in operational
> networks), and is the document technically sound?  We are interested in
> knowing whether the document is ready to be considered for WG adoption
> (ie, it doesn’t have to be perfect at this point, but should be a good
> start).
>
> Reviews should be sent to the document authors, WG co-chairs and
> secretary, and CC’d to the MPLS WG email list. If necessary, comments
> may be sent privately to only the WG chairs.
>
> Are you able to review this draft by Oct 30, 2012?
>
> Thanks, Loa
> (as MPLS WG chair)
>
> --
>

> Loa Andersson                         email: loa.andersson@ericsson.com
> Sr Strategy and Standards Manager            loa@pi.nu
> Ericsson Inc                          phone: +46 10 717 52 13
>                                               +46 767 72 92 13

France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.