Re: [mpls] COnsensus call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mfp-use-case-and-requirements - Working Group Last Call closed

Rolf Winter <Rolf.Winter@neclab.eu> Tue, 25 October 2016 12:37 UTC

From: Rolf Winter <Rolf.Winter@neclab.eu>
To: Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "<rtg-ads@ietf.org>" <rtg-ads@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:37:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.7.0.203]
Subject: Re: [mpls] COnsensus call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mfp-use-case-and-requirements - Working Group Last Call closed

Hi Stewart,

I don't think the IESG has made a strict policy in this regard. Below is the blog post extract that talks about this. I read it as a recommendation to focus on protocol work and not let requirements work stall important protocol specifications and as a clarification that there is no actual need to go through a problem definition/use cases/requirements stage before protocol work can start. But, as the text states, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Not sure this is actually controversial and needs further discussion.

"We also discussed the role of requirement, use case, and problem definition documents in IETF work. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to different working groups. But the IESG wanted to be clear that the essence of IETF work and the energy often comes from working on protocol solutions. We were concerned about cases where it takes a long time to get to that work. Working groups should NOT feel they need to sequence their work in waterfall style. In fact, working in parallel with solutions and other supporting documents (and code!) is often the best approach. And some of the supporting documents need not necessarily always be RFCs; wikis, for instance, are a fine approach as well."

From: https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/05/

Best,

Rolf