RE: [mpls] Proposed reforming of LSP Ping TLV processing

"Nitin Bahadur" <nitinb@juniper.net> Tue, 24 July 2007 14:48 UTC

Subject: RE: [mpls] Proposed reforming of LSP Ping TLV processing
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:47:56 -0700
From: Nitin Bahadur <nitinb@juniper.net>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, mpls@lists.ietf.org

Adrian,

  I am not 100% convinced on the need for TLV type
"Ignore the entire message if TLV is unrecognized".

I presume the intent was that we want the *newer* nodes to process the
msg as per the new TLV specifics and want others to ignore the msg.

Let's say if we have a new tlv and we make it's tlv type as "mandatory".
In such a case, an *old* LSR would reply back with TLV unsupported (2).
This helps the sender of the echo request to know that some downstream
does not support a specific TLV (details of unsupported tlv are captured
in "error tlv" in echo-response).

The advantage of this is that we now know that that the downstream node
is "alive", rather than assuming that the packet got dropped or
downstream is in error (useful in debugging). It is up to the sender on
how to react to "tlv unsupported" error. Sender does not necessarily
have to treat this as an error and can resend the msg without some of
the *newer* TLVs or ignore such downstreams.

With regards to
  "Support for the TLV is mandatory at an egress LSR, but is
   optional at a transit LSR";

I am thinking *aloud* if we need a reverse type also (aka support is
mandatory on transit and optional on egress). It would just make things
more symmetrical. Maybe you can come up with a convincing case in the
P2MP trace case.

Thanks
Nitin

Type
> value is allocated. Or, phrased a different way, to set aside two bits
> from
> the TLV Type to define the processing rules.
>
> This first version of the draft is pretty rough, but we hope that the
> ideas
> will carry forward and gain working group consensus. If so, the main
> impact
> would be to update the IANA registry. New LSP Ping TLVs (and sub-TLVs)
> would
> then have to indicate the processing rules when the TLV is not
understood.