Re: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-explicit-resource-control-bundle-03.txt

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Wed, 02 April 2008 22:15 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: mpls@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:15:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-explicit-resource-control-bundle-03.txt
Sender: mpls-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Anca,

Interesting to see this draft back again. I think it expired in April 2007
and I had assumed we had given up on it.

A couple of thoughts...

===

In the terminology section you have:
   For unnumbered component links, the component link
   ID is assumed to be unique on an advertising node.

I think this reflects exactly what was discussed several IETFs ago (possibly
in CCAMP with respect to the hierarchy-bis draft or maybe
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-addressing-03). However, don't you need to have some
RFC 2119 language here? Failing this assumption will break your draft, so
this is a "MUST" in which case I suggest you move it from the Terminology
section to the main body of the draft.

===

More generally, way back in March 2006, in Dallas, CCAMP discussed how to
build EROs and RROs in order to qualify this in
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-addressing (now RFC 4990). We had a survey and
published the results in
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-farrel-ccamp-ero-survey-00.txt. The
conclusion seemed to be that implementations of bundling simply reported
(and signaled) component links by including two sequential interface IDs,
the first indicating the TE link and the second the component link. There
was no need to use different subobject types for these two pieces of
information as their ordering and context was sufficient.

I recall that in the discussions it was even suggested that it was not
necessary to include both the TE link ID and the component link ID as the
component link ID actually has global scope even if it does not have global
visibility. But the survey seemed to indicate that people wanted to "play
safe" and include both identifiers.

===

Part of the question may hinge on the U-bit that you have defined for your
new suobjects. This bit allows different component links to be used in each
direction. Have we had a thorough discussion of this requirement? Last time
I talked to people about this, it seemed to be the case that, just as we
would not split a bidirectional LSP across separate TE links in each
direction, we would not split an LSP across separate component links in each
direction. After all, component links are just TE links that are bundled for
advertisement.

It was suggested that component links might be unidirectional components of
a bidirectional bundle. But surely, just as with TE links, unidirectional
data channels are paired to form bidirectional data links.

I note, however, that RFC 4990 decided to allow different component links to
be used in each direction with some (rather unclear) suggestion that
ordering the subobjects is enough to allow you to determine the direction.

===

So, we come to the big question. Why do we need to change existing
implementations and introduce a different way of encoding EROs and RROs for
bundled links?

Cheers,
Adrian

PS. I think that introducing a flag "component link recording desired" is a
great idea.