Re: [mpls] MPLS wg charter update

t.petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> Thu, 16 May 2013 09:48 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <cpignata@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 10:07:51 +0100
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org, mpls-ads@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS wg charter update

---- Original Message -----
From: "Loa Andersson" <loa@pi.nu>
To: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <cpignata@cisco.com>
Cc: <mpls@ietf.org>; <mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org>;
<mpls-ads@tools.ietf.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:00 AM

Carlos,

thanks for comments! My personal response too them would be:

1. Work items vs. focus areas.
    Not being a native English speaker I would need a better definition
    of the terms, tentatively I'd say that either would work for me,
    maybe say "work items and focus areas" if that aligns with how
    the  terms are defined.

<tp>
Loa

I see focus areas as vague and woolly, like soft-focus only different,
useful for management speak that can later be redefined to mean
something different if the need arises:-)

Work items I would see as more specific, having an outcome that is
defined and can be measured eg was an I-D delivered to the IESG by March
2010?

Of the items listed, I think that most are work items but perhaps not

•    Maintain existing MPLS requirements, mechanisms, and protocols,
        in coordination with other working groups, e.g. CCAMP, PWE3
        and OPSAWG working groups.
•    Evolve key MPLS protocols, including LDP, tLDP, mLDP, RSVP-TE
        and LSP Ping to meet new requirements.

I would prefer those at the end, not the front, which is where I think
that catch-alls belong; and I would make them more action-oriented, such
as

•    Identify new requirements in key MPLS protocols, including but not
limited to LDP, tLDP, mLDP, RSVP-TE and LSP Ping, and define solutions
to meet them

Tom Petch
</tp>

2. IPv6 gap analysis
    I believe that the IPv6 gap analysis is part of "necessary
    extensions ... for dual stack and IPv6 only"
    The gap analysis will show up as a milestone when we accept
    an ID on that topic as a wg group document.

/Loa

text -------------------------

>> Description of Working Group
>>
>> The MPLS working group is responsible for standardizing technology
>> for label switching and for the implementation of label-switched
>> paths over packet based link-level technologies.
>>
>> The responsibility includes procedures and protocols for the
>> distribution of labels between Label Switching Routers (LSRs),
>> MPLS packet encapsulation, and for Operation, Administration, and
>> Maintenance (OAM) (including the necessary management objects
>> expressed as MIB modules or using other techniques).
>>
>> The current WG work items are:
>>

> The text above looks good. A nit: are these "work items" or "focus
areas"?

>> •    Maintain existing MPLS requirements, mechanisms, and protocols,
>>         in coordination with other working groups, e.g. CCAMP, PWE3
>>         and OPSAWG working groups.
>> •    Evolve key MPLS protocols, including LDP, tLDP, mLDP, RSVP-TE
>>         and LSP Ping to meet new requirements.
>> •    Define an overall OAM framework for topology-driven, traffic
>>         engineered, and transport profile MPLS applications.
>> •    Determine MPLS-specific aspects of traffic engineering for
>>         multi-areas/multi-AS in cooperation with the CCAMP WG
>> •    Define necessary extensions for MPLS key protocols for
>>         dual-stack and IPv6 only networks
>
> In addition to defining extensions, could we add also a "gap analysis"
of the IPv6 (dual stack and IPv6 only) state for MPLS key protocols and
procedures?