Re: [mpls] Question regarding MPLS reserved label with ECMP

Bhargav Bhikkaji <bhargav@force10networks.com> Tue, 21 August 2012 23:56 UTC

From: Bhargav Bhikkaji <bhargav@force10networks.com>
To: Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, "curtis@occnc.com" <curtis@occnc.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:55:22 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, Vivek Kumar <kvivek@broadcom.com>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Question regarding MPLS reserved label with ECMP

Hi Kireeti,

Liked the idea of having entropy label, something similar to having flow-label for load balancing in ipv6. In case of transit LSR (transit is a different vendor to ingress LSR), where ELI is recognized and chooses to load balance solely on label following EL. The ingress would create entropy label based on it's load balancing function and the transit would use this label for it's hasing functions, as both implementations are different and single hashing algorithm does not load balance equally for all types of traffic, is there a possibility of un-equal loadbalancing observed in the transit ?

Thanks
Bhargav