Re: [mpls] consolidated response to Q12/15 on T-MPLS

"Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@cisco.com> Mon, 24 April 2006 15:13 UTC

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [mpls] consolidated response to Q12/15 on T-MPLS
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:13:17 -0400
To: "Andrew G. Malis" <andymalis@comcast.net>
Cc: mpls@ietf.org

	There were no comments to the contrary as
far as I can tell. That is, no one commented
on the list or at the meeting that leaving
MPLS in the name as okay. I did however, hear
at least 3 responses to explicitly strike MPLS
from the name.

	--Tom

> [...]
>>>
>>> Penultimate Hop Popping (PHP)
>>> -----------------------------
>>> We discussed this several times with different ITU-T SGs and
>>> Questions, we've agreed that the right way of stating this is
>>> that it is "mandatory to implement, optional to use" PHP. We
>>> would appreciate if the T-MPLS could adopt the same text.
>>>
>>> Note: We also think that it is a misconception to think that
>>> non-PHP is less complex than PHP.
>>>
>>> Signaling protocol
>>> ------------------
>>> It is nowhere specified which signaling protocol will be used for
>>> for T-MPLS.
>>>
>>> It is also unclear if traffic engineering functionality is required.
>>>
>>> Note: if traffic engineering functionality is required, there
>>> is a strong recommendation from the IETF to use RSVP-TE.
>>>
>>> Note 2: If this effort leads to requirements on changes in the IETF
>>> signaling protocols this should be handled according to
>>> draft-andersson-rtg-gmpls-change-02.
>>>
>>> Non-merging
>>> -----------
>>> T-MPLS states that merging of LSPs is not used.
>>>
>>> Merging was introduced to address the problem with a high number
>>> of LSPs in the core. How is the n-squared problem addressed in
>>> T-MPLS?
>>>
>>> Note: It is not a given that non-merging of LSPs from a protocol
>>> procedural or processing point of view necessarily is less
>>> complex than a merging variant.
>>>
>>> Reserved labels
>>> semantics to labels 16-31. What is the reason to mention them if
>>> this is the case.
>>>
>>> In particular does the statement imply that these label values
>>> should be
>>> reserved.  It is our opinion that:
>>>
>>> 1) If they are reserved then T-MPLS is incompatible with MPLS in a
>>>    number of scenarios.  It also would mean that T-MPLS is not a
>>> subset
>>>    of MPLS (over and above the issue cited below).
>>>
>>> 2) If they are not reserved, reserving them in the future would
>>> cause
>>>    intolerable deployment difficulties.
>>>
>>> In conclusion you should either say the labels are reserved and
>>> clearly
>>> declare that T-MPLS is not compatible with MPLS or remove the FFS
>>> text
>>> entirely.
>>>

>>> True subset of MPLS
>>> -------------------
>>> It has been claimed that T-MPLS is a true subset of MPLS, yet the
>>> Y.1711 seems to be a part of T-MPLS. Y.1711 is not part of MPLS.
>>>
>>> If what is wanted is really a subset of MPLS, we believe several
>>> aspects
>>> has to be made clear
>>> - the exact relationship to MPLS
>>> - that enough functionality is there to make interoperability with
>>>   MPLS possible
>>> - the MPLS OAM specification in RFC4377 has to be addressed
>>>
>>> There is previous art in defining similar "subsets" of MPLS,
>>> e.g. "draft-loa-mpls-cap-set-01.txt" and
>>> "draft-rosen-mpls-profiles-00.txt"; these efforts did not go very