Re: [mpls] Question regarding SD protection in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu

"Ryoo, Jeong-dong" <ryoo@etri.re.kr> Thu, 26 December 2013 04:51 UTC

From: "Ryoo, Jeong-dong" <ryoo@etri.re.kr>
To: Yaacov Weingarten <wyaacov@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 04:51:13 +0000
x-new-displayname: UnlvbywgSmVvbmctZG9uZw==
x-originating-ip: [129.254.28.44]
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Question regarding SD protection in draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu

Yaacov, thanks for your email. Somehow, I forgot to respond and am sorry for the delay.

First of all, Yaacov, it is not true that the protection switching of Ethernet or SDH describes the operation of any layer below. Rather, each layer is supposed to operate independently. However, there are a few exceptions, such as hold-off timer and AIS (as a trigger from lower layer). Even though there exist some proprietary implementations that use other information from lower layer, most of them are not recommended in ITU-T standards.

Bridge and selector are not in the physical layer, but they are part of protection switching. One of the important output actions from the PSC control logic is coordinating the positions of bridge and selector. Also, the bridge operation responding to the PSC control logic is also part of protection switching. However, how to realize the bridge and selector (for example, how to manipulate a packet forwarding mechanism) is an implementation matter.

When we mention 1+1 or 1:1 in protection architecture, we deal with the operation of bridge. For 1+1 architecture, the traffic needs to be duplicated at the sender and sent to both paths all the time, which is the same description as the “permanent bridge”. For 1:1 architecture, “selector bridge” is used to send the traffic only one of the paths. As the protection path can be used by best traffic in packet networks and the packet duplication takes much more effort/internal bandwidth inside a switch than the time slot copy of circuit networks. 1:1 is considered as preferable architecture in packet networks.

As you might recall from G.8031 – Ethernet linear protection, the selector bridge is not recommended due to the traffic flapping under SD conditions on both paths. Instead “broadcast bridge” is introduced to support protection switching against SD. But, this broadcast bridge is not recommended in non-revertive mode as the working path needs to be occupied by traffic all the time. Also the broadcast bridge is not efficient, since by definition, the packet duplication should occur during not only SD but also SF, FS, MS, etc. In this document, we are introducing an improved bridge mechanism, which behaves like a selector bridge but duplicates the traffic only under SD condition, and we believe that it addresses all the issues with existing bridges.

What we mean by SD protection is agnostic to the SD detection method is that the proposed SD protection method (again how to operate a bridge or what brige is used is a part of protection switching) can be used no matter what kind of SD detection methods (data packet counting, CCM packet counting, or even proprietary server layer SD detection) is used.

I think I answered all the questions on your email.

Yaacov, if you have any further concerns or questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Jeong-dong