[mpls] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp-08: (with COMMENT)

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Thu, 22 June 2017 13:40 UTC

From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@ietf.org, loa@pi.nu, mpls@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 06:40:05 -0700
Subject: [mpls] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp-08: (with COMMENT)

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-app-aware-tldp/

COMMENT:

Close to a DISCUSS, but in the end a COMMENT, assuming I don't know enough
about tLDP. Let's have a discussion regardless.

   This document
   defines a mechanism to advertise and negotiate Targeted Applications
   Capability (TAC) during LDP session initialization.

   This document proposes and describes a solution to advertise Targeted
   Application Capability (TAC), consisting of a targeted application
   list, during initialization of a tLDP session.

   An LSR MAY advertise that it is capable to negotiate a targeted LDP
   application list over a tLDP session by using the Capability
   Advertisement as defined in [RFC5561] and encoded as follows:

   At tLDP session establishment time, a LSR MAY include a new
   capability TLV, TAC TLV, as an optional TLV in the LDP Initialization
   message.

Reading the doc., I've been wondering for many pages now. Do we speak
negotation ... From the initiating LSR: these are the Targeted Application
(Identifier(s)) for which I would like to initializate a tLDP
        Answer from the responding LSR: yes, possible. No, not possible
        Question: is the tLDP session established.

>From the initiating LSR: from this list, tell me which Targeted Application
(Identifiers) you support
        Answer from the responding LSR: here are the Targeted Application
        (Identifiers) I support

>From the receiving LSR: here are the Targeted Application (Identifiers) I
support

Throughout the doc, clarify if the LSR is the initiating or receiving party.
As a starting point, this text should be updated:

       At tLDP session establishment time, a LSR MAY include a new
       capability TLV, TAC TLV, as an optional TLV in the LDP Initialization
       message.

LSR => initiating LSR.

Oh, wait, then I've been confused with: "If both the peers advertise TAC TLV,"
So both can start the negotiation?

Then you speak about "the responding LSR playing the active role in LDP session"
So it's not about initiating/responding LSR any longer.

A small diagram with arrows, at least for the most common case, would go a long
way.